Big price drop on meat (sale?) at Sams

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Went to Sam's over lunch today to grab a couple things and noticed meat was way cheaper than the last time I was there....I dont know if this was some sort of saleor what but a lot of the price tags were now yellow instead of white.

Examples:
Bone in Boston butt...was consistently $1.80-1.90/lb now $1.30/lb
Full spare ribs...was about $2/lb now $1.50/lb
Chuck roast....was $5.xx/lb now $3.50/lb
Inside skirt steak...was $6..7...8/lb, now $5.50ish
Etc etc

Steak prices werent down as much, but were slightly.

Needless to say....I stocked up :icon_blush::tsk::cool:

I hoarded Sams yellow tags on butts, wings and ground beef. Also 3# Members Mark bacon $8. Vedggies, frozen foods and Weber rubs were yellow tagged too. Possibly had to do with pre-enventory reduction.

So....yellow tag is special/limited time pricing then eh? The only thing that kept me from buying more than I did is my freezers are almost full.

The yellow price labels started happening in like the first or second week of July. ASFAIK, they are a new pricing scheme that is meant to be the new normal prices for the items. Their Member's Mark whole bean coffees dropped about $3 per package! I work in the backroom (Claims/Receiving) of Sam's and helped put up the new signs on the day it happened.

Well I hope thats the case! Skirt steak for 5 bucks a pound makes me happy...I couldnt justify buying it when it cost as much or close to ribeye.

Hasn't happened yet in our local stores. Being close (within 15-20 miles) from the headquarters, you would think they would try the new pricing format here first. I did notice the slice beef ribs were lower by about a dollar a pound. So I asked Mr. Personality if they had whole beef ribs. He mumbled something inaudible. I asked again and he again spoke like he had a mouth full of marbles but I detected nope. So I asked if they came in pre-sliced and he said yep and I said, "so, none whole?" "Nope". I thanked him for his time and he went back to throwing hamburger packages in the display case.

That's odd, I've bought whole beef rib sections there a bunch of times. I just checked their website and I no longer see them listed, and I'm almost positive they used to have whole unsliced sections online in the past. The only thing on their website now is listed as bulk packaged presliced short ribs so it's possible something changed.

That's odd, I've bought whole beef rib sections there a bunch of times. I just checked their website and I no longer see them listed, and I'm almost positive they used to have whole unsliced sections online in the past. The only thing on their website now is listed as bulk packaged presliced short ribs so it's possible something changed.

I should add that they used to have unsliced packages but they never put them out in the case. I inquired a couple of times and the unsliced price was $2-3.00 more whole than the sliced. So, I passed at $8.00+/lb. Figured I would keep eating brisket rather than brisket on the stick.

Change is inevitable.

Robert

Interesting...I dont recall them costing more than sliced the times that I bought them. Around here it seems that any time Sam's "touches the meat" the price goes up quite a bit. Example...standard thickness 1.25-1.5" ribeyes they typically stock were $9.49/lb...."thin sliced" ribeyes .5-.75" thick were a full $2 a pound more. Seemed excessive to me for a few extra zips through the saw or knife, so I passed.

Last edited:
Saw the yellow tags at my Sam's today. I usually just buy butts when they go on sale at other stores for 99 cents/lb, but if Sam's is going to keep them at 1.30/lb I will probably get them fairly regularly.

I waited all summer and the local grocers never dropped to $.99/lb like they have years past. In fact, their butts are priced at an all time high right now $3.49/lb. I can get brisket cheaper than that.

My local HEB just had bone in pork butts on sale for $1.00/lb a couple weeks ago. I have 4 in the chest freezer ATM. My Sam's Club has the cryopaks of whole spare ribs for $1.54/lb. My issue with buying a multi-pack of ribs is there is typically one decent rack and the other is not so much. I prefer buying ribs in the single packs at HEB when they go on sale so I can pick and choose.

Back