View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #7646
pigwacker
Found some matches.

Default bending expanded metal reply

"I have read thru about half this thread and i didnt see anything like this (might be in the other half) I am trying to make the coal basket, have a piece of 3/4' #9 8" wide x55" long expando steel, and i am having a hard time shaping it. What is the best way to roll the expando around my cooking grate? I dont have a vice, or anything else i could use to keep it in place. Also i cant find any hog nose rings and i cant weld, would bailing wire work? Any help even a thread posting about this would be great. thanks"

Mossberg - I started my first one with gloved hands and a boot and then used a come-a-long hooked end to end around the metal. I used the all thread to pull it on around and hold it, but I used the needle nose visegrips to make final adjustments to line it up. The vise grips come in handy when you get close. I welded mine, so I tried to line it up so that the ends met. It took me a couple hours fiddlin' with it, before I got to where I could weld it.

I have made 3 more but I had the rosebud from the acetylene torch to heat and bend. It took me about 15 minutes to heat and bend the metal.
pigwacker is offline   Reply With Quote