• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cutting Boards

bookie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just got a couple of new knives and was wondering about cutting boards. I've read that plastic is easy to clean but will tear up a blades edge. Bamboo is too hard and the fibers aren't edge friendly. Then I hear Maple is great for knives, but a little harder to keep clean. Knife manufacturers say one thing and board makers say another... which do you use

Thanks

I use plastic with gripper corners for any raw meat. I have a "c" on one side that I use for chicken, and the other side is for any other raw meat.

For any vegetables I have a bamboo cutting board, and I have a maple for cutting/ carving cooked meats. The maple one has a channel all the way around to catch any juices that should run out.

Plastic is the easiest to keep clean for sure, and I have never had any problems with the board dulling my edge. Same thing for bamboo. As long as you stay away from glass you should be OK.

I use plastic for everything right now. Never had any issues with it dulling a edge. I do plan on purchasing a wood board in the near future for cooked meats.

I've used the epicurean for several years now. Wash it in the dishwasher after every use (it gets used daily). Seems like it is gonna last forever.

I also use a white plastic one from walmart that seems fine.. it has a ditch to collect meat juices to keep them from contaminating the counter.

Plastic for meat, maple/hard wood for veggies. Wood will soak up nastiness associated with meat (raw especially, but juice from cooked meats as well) maple is a faster cutting surface, and I prefer it for everything else. Plastic is more sanitary for your meat products. We have a dedicated meat only plastic cutting board in our kitchen.

Plastic for meat, maple/hard wood for veggies. Wood will soak up nastiness associated with meat (raw especially, but juice from cooked meats as well) maple is a faster cutting surface, and I prefer it for everything else. Plastic is more sanitary for your meat products. We have a dedicated meat only plastic cutting board in our kitchen.

Not according to testing by food scientists Shaggy.
Wood overall proved the most sanitary choice for meat and everything else.

I use plastic in the restaurant just for ease of use. If you do get plastic, go to a restaurant supply store and buy them there. They are not that expensive. Or check CL, I picked up two 18x24 commercial cutting boards for $10 each. These have the hook on the so you can hang them to dry and cm on one side and inches on the other.

As far as using different boards for different meats, I feel that you are not cleaning you board well enough.

Not according to testing by food scientists Shaggy.
Wood overall proved the most sanitary choice for meat and everything else.

I'm not so concerned with bacteria, buckaroo. I have nice wood boards. Blood, aujus, etc, will stain your wood. And typically you don't need a fast surface for cutting meat anyway. If you are using 1 board for everything, you still need to wash between veggie prep and meat prep. I just have 1 board for veggies, 1 board for meat. Less hassle, and my wood boards stay less stained for longer.

Blood, aujus, etc, will stain your wood.

and my wood boards stay less stained for longer.
If you're caring for and treating your wood boards correctly you should not have any staining on them at all. I have a 3'x3' wood cutting block that I've done every meat on and have zero staining. That said, as a matter of convenience I do also have other cutting boards I will use as well as disposables depending on the need.

I bought a spray bottle for $1 from the Dollar Tree; filled it half way with water and half with white distilled vinegar.

I spray down my cutting boards after I clean them with this. I also spray down my kitchen counters with this often. It's a good harmless disinfectant.

If you're caring for and treating your wood boards correctly you should not have any staining on them at all. I have a 3'x3' wood cutting block that I've done every meat on and have zero staining. That said, as a matter of convenience I do also have other cutting boards I will use as well as disposables depending on the need.

Agreed, but if I'd rather not chance it with my handmade boards, especially when I need 2 surfaces anyway. Just a personal preference I guess. I make my own cutting boards so I tend to baby them a bit more than I probably should. I also don't trust the mrs to be as cautious as I am, so plastic for meat in my house. Wood is an organic, pourus surface. It will soak up anything put on it whether it is easily seen or not. Especially if its not regularly oiled and maintained. If its not cleaned immediately, it's gonna leave a mark. For me, there's no need to cut meat on wood. Youre doing finesse work. boning or slicing. Not quick chopping or mincing that benefits from a fast surface. Rather than put in all the caveats of "if you use wood it must be regularly oiled, wiped immediately after use, and never submerged in water" my earlier answer just seemed easier. So yes, with proper care, use wood for everything. If you're lazy like me, split it up. If I had to just pick one , it would be wood, hands down.

I make cutting boards but can't compete with Boos on the price. Mine are made by me....entirely. I will engrave stuff too.

Just a personal preference I guess.
I think this is pretty much what it comes down to ^^^. I do use others on top of the wood depending on what all is going on so I don't think there is any one single right answer.
Wood is an organic, pourus surface. It will soak up anything put on it whether it is easily seen or not. Especially if its not regularly oiled and maintained.

Rather than put in all the caveats of "if you use wood it must be regularly oiled, wiped immediately after use, and never submerged in water" my earlier answer just seemed easier.
Though I do have to say this is way over-exaggerating the maintenance required of a quality wooden board. My heavy board has been in use for a bit over eight years now and is in better than excellent condition without any stains. And doesn't require significant upkeep to be clean/sanitary, and safe.
That rubber board actually sounds really cool. :-o

Back