KCBS Dessert Category

S

smangold

Hi everyone, great forum!

There is a dessert category in this year’s “BBQ on the Farm” competition that I'm thinking about entering. This is my first experience with that category; therefore I have a question regarding appearance. Do the same rules apply as with the meats (lettuce/parsley only garnish with all food fitting in the Styrofoam containers)?

I lost out on appearance points during last year’s (BBQ on the River) Iron Chef competition because I didn’t think you could turn in the food any other way. I don't want to make the same mistake.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Scott

dessert

I believe the rules are up to the organizer. Usually it is anything goes.
Eric

KCBS doesn't generally govern dessert catagories. You would need to check wioth the contest organizer. I have seen everything from anything goes to KCBS "like" rules.

Hi Scott and welcome. You should get the story right from the horse's mouth. Get ahold of Tom Christine and he'll tell you what yopu want to know. His contact info is on the contest website www.bbqonthefarm.com

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Kirk, I sent Tom an email. I'm sure he'll repond shortly, he was very receptive to my emails the 1st year of the contest.

Where in Levittown do you live Scott? I grew up in Forsythia Gate and live in Langhorne now.

Desert is up to the organizer. Some allow you to present in any containers you like ( as long as 6 pieces can be decerned) some require you to fit it in a closed styrofoam container, just like any other catagory.... some want it to fit in the container, but allow the container to be open.

I have seen some pretty elaborate presentations!!

Here's an example of dessert - we tried it at Mobile (KCBS) a couple of years ago...

A lot of effort goes into the display...special plates, bowls, etc. There are generally no rules on dessert entries...at least at the contest I've checked about desserts.

Attachments

• Raspberry Terimisu-Mobile-resized.jpg
    Raspberry Terimisu-Mobile-resized.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 100
Wayne - do you have a pic of the entry from Warrensburg...
<note> some contests do not allow you to turn in alcoholic beverages....

Kirk said:
Where in Levittown do you live Scott? I grew up in Forsythia Gate and live in Langhorne now.

Kirk,

I live in the Pinewood section, not too far from Forsythia Gate.

chad said:
Here's an example of dessert - we tried it at Mobile (KCBS) a couple of years ago...

A lot of effort goes into the display...special plates, bowls, etc. There are generally no rules on dessert entries...at least at the contest I've checked about desserts.

That's a nice looking dish Chad. How did you make out?

FYI for all the folks competing at this year’s BBQ on the Farm:

Tom Christine wrote me back and said that competitors can hand in their dessert and Iron Chef entries "any way they want".

-Scott

Scott, I suggest you get a local dessert making legend to help. He can be found at Slack's Hoagie Shack and his name is Dave Poltonowitzs. I also reccomend his brother to do your taxes

Last edited by a moderator:
Back