Made some smoked chicken gumbo, I did.

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I had a hankering for some gumbo and with that Special Throwdown going on and the weather getting pretty chilly around here it seemed like the proper thing to do.

The method and spice recipe I borrowed from Saiko's Gumbo thread here.

I did use smoked thighs instead of breasts and I used what was left of the andouille I had in the freezer from butcher Bill's, it's good stuff.

I started off by firing up the egg to around 350-400* with some lump and cherry and threw on the thighs and some breasts for lunch this week.

Here are the rest of the ingredients for the gumbo, minus the bag of frozen okra. I forgot that on my previous store run and had to go to 2 different grocery stores to find it. :tsk:

Next up I started the roux, cajun napalm style.

We're almost there. Whisk, whisk, whisk...arm getting tired.

The holy trinity jumped into the pot.

Next in were the andouille, garlic, spices and this pile of pulled chicken.

I finished it with the okra and plated with a scoop of jasmine rice. (I've heard only yankees put the gumbo over top of the rice, we're trying to stay authentic here. :wink:)

Thanks for looking, hope everyone had a great weekend!

:peace:

Looks delicious. And Raymond Rodgers (Chef Rameaux - R.I.P.), the man from Shreveport, Louisiana that taught me all my Cajun cooking, put the rice in the bowl first, so I guess either way is just fine.

We only do seafood gumbo round here, but I'd hit that for sure! :thumb: Good thing you didn't leave out that okra!

That looks quite tasty! Still not sure why the rice is on top, but as long as it tastes good.

Matt

Thanks Matt, and I'm not sure either. I remember last time I made it someone around here told me that the rice goes on top. :noidea: Just trying to cover my bases. :thumb:

Nom nom nom!

Can't say I have had gumbo with jasmine rice before though...

Thanks peeps. We really like jasmine rice in our jambalya so I figured I'd give it a shot with the gumbo. It worked out nicely.

Yes! Stellar! I was affraid you would omit the okra. So many do...

Thanks G. Oh heck no wasn't forgetting the okra. When I told my wife I was running out again because I forgot it. She was like...do really you need it? and I was like...hell yeah!

What fat did you use for your roux? Beautiful color.

Thank you CarterK, I used peanut oil.

Back