My first gasser, the big easy

Don't even pay attention to cooking chamber heat. It's all about the IT of the meat. Time is not a factor either. Proper use of the mesh lid for browning and the IT are all that matter. Took me awhile to get used to it too. On a 70*F day, a chicken may take around 45 mins to an hour and a 13 lb. turkey around 2 to 2hr 45 mins to hit proper IT.

My 7.5 lbs bird took just over two hours and with the lid on the whole time was never close to burning. I will raise up the bird some next time.

Smoke ninja (shadow and all), try some wood chips to see what you think. I bought a cake ring to use as a riser and wood chip ring, I wasn't a huge fan of the scent they created. I have posted once or twice about my tbe. I assume you can look up posts by users on this forum but I'm not checking ATM from my tablet.

one thing to think about with low flames on any propane rig, the new valves on the tank have a check valve in them that slows down the gas a safety deal, always open the valve REAL slow and this helps, if you see a lower than normal flame, close the valve and open it again slowly

I agree with using the ring below the basket. It's supposed to help from what I've read that on a forum that discussing CB products.

one thing to think about with low flames on any propane rig, the new valves on the tank have a check valve in them that slows down the gas a safety deal, always open the valve REAL slow and this helps, if you see a lower than normal flame, close the valve and open it again slowly

As long as it's a clean blue flame the regulator is working properly.

Back