• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Popdaddy (Funk) Needs Help

B

barbefunkoramaque

Okay y'all Popdaddy has been pushed in a corner. Out of all the smoking I have done I have never done but a few hams. I do not like doing hams because people have for so long had their taste buds set to factory hams its hard to satisfy them with something more "real."

Well a nice lady that works for the Dickinson Educational Foundation has asked me to smoke 100. Now I am trying to get a teaching job so this would be a good thing to show that I support my community's educational goals and likewise can get me a job.

So, thing is, I need a good recipe from a caterer that has done more than, say 20 at a time. Preferably on an offset but other pits will do as long as they are big. I will be doing a BRINED UNCOOKED BONE IN HAM.

PLEASE NO RECIPES FOR DOUBLE COOKED HAMS since I am not doing that.

I use the KISS method on my hams and they get devoured. Coat them with apple butter wrap them up and store in the fridge over night. See I said it was the KISS method.

Funk, are you talking about taking raw hams and doing the cure and smoking, or getting hams that are cured and soaking then cooking? Just to clarify that Point.

I use the KISS method on my hams and they get devoured. Coat them with apple butter wrap them up and store in the fridge over night. See I said it was the KISS method.

Good but 100 RAW hams stored in the fridge? I don't get how this tells me what temp and how long to cook 100 raw hams and what to watch for?

Funk, are you talking about taking raw hams and doing the cure and smoking, or getting hams that are cured and soaking then cooking? Just to clarify that Point.

100 raw brined bone in hams. You can see its up there, so they will be ready to cook. A Brined Ham will not have to be soaked, That is the process of brining in a nutshell.

Popdaddy,

Have you looked at Dr. Chickens Double Smoked in the Brethren Recipe section?

Last edited:
(he said hes not double smoking it. last sentence in his original post)

Hallo Funky oneee! Das ist eine Menge von Schinken! Wenn ich koche Rohschinken ich in der Regel geben sie eine liberale Beschichtung von Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan und Stevie Nicks und dann sitzen in der Bass-Drum über Nacht. Dann in den Morgen spülen Sie ihn mit Beyoncee und streicht es mit Jessica Simpson, bis ich nicht sehen kann das Fleisch nicht mehr. Dann gebe ich es eine schnelle Trommelwirbel und steckte es in die Pauken auf 275 Schläge für ca. 30 Takte pro Maßnahme. Sobald es getan habe, schneiden sie mit meiner Leitung und Nieselregen sie mit einer Sauce von Little Richard, Bare Naked Ladies und nur ein bisschen von Sugar Ray gemacht. Ich in der Regel garniert sie mit einigen Maryann, Frau Howell und einem Hauch von Gilligan.

Vergessen Sie nicht, ein schönes Glas Professor mit ihr gehen!

Schweine und Küsse!

Ginger!

Translation from babelfish.....I think we need one for popdaddy to english...lol

Hello Funky oneee! That is a quantity of ham! If I raw ham I cook usually give it a liberal coating of Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan and Stevie Nicks and then sit in the bass Drum over night. Then in the mornings you rinse it with Beyoncee and paint it with Jessica Simpson, to I not to see can the meat no longer. Then I give it fast drum rolls and put it into the bass drums on 275 impacts for approx. 30 clocks per measure. As soon as it did, they cut them with my line and drizzle with a Sauce made by Little Richard, cash Naked Ladies and only a little from Sugar Ray. I garniert usually it with some Maryann, Mrs. Howell and a breath of Gilligan. Do not forget, a beautiful glass professor with it go! Pigs and kisses! Ginger!

Hallo Funky oneee! Das ist eine Menge von Schinken! Wenn ich koche Rohschinken ich in der Regel geben sie eine liberale Beschichtung von Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan und Stevie Nicks und dann sitzen in der Bass-Drum über Nacht. Dann in den Morgen spülen Sie ihn mit Beyoncee und streicht es mit Jessica Simpson, bis ich nicht sehen kann das Fleisch nicht mehr. Dann gebe ich es eine schnelle Trommelwirbel und steckte es in die Pauken auf 275 Schläge für ca. 30 Takte pro Maßnahme. Sobald es getan habe, schneiden sie mit meiner Leitung und Nieselregen sie mit einer Sauce von Little Richard, Bare Naked Ladies und nur ein bisschen von Sugar Ray gemacht. Ich in der Regel garniert sie mit einigen Maryann, Frau Howell und einem Hauch von Gilligan.

Schweine und Küsse!

Ginger!

Hey Donnie...I hope this helps...:cool: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62726&highlight=perfect+picnic+ham You might consider smokin' them hot-n-fast in pans with 50/50 apple juice and water for moisture (about a cup per 1/2 pan) I'd cook them to 180-190 for slicing or about 4 hours @ 325-350. I really like the sop I used too...it made the ham IMO...good luck brother...

Oops...I just realized you wanted advice from someone who has done 20 at a time...that would not be me...but the above procedure should still apply...

Schweine und Küsse!

Ginger!

You know some famous folks, german lady. Funk, I'm not a ham expert but I can almost guarantee that if you cook it at 225-250 to 185 internal or so and mop/glaze it a couple times it'd be awesome. Treat it like a pork shoulder with a little less fat. You really can't f@ck up pork too bad and can always remoisturize with some apple juice and apple cider if you do!

I do pretty many hams. I have never done 100 of them. But they are pretty simple. Here are a couple I've done.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48035

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34117

I cook them at 250 degrees for about 15-20 minutes a lb. I was taking them to 150-155 internal but, now I only go to 145. Much better result. Typically a 25lb ham will take about 7-8 hours.

I don't glaze anymore either. Just makes more of a mess and does not add that much flavor. I let the pork flavor stand up on its own.

Hope this helps.

Save some for me.

Nate

My mistake, wont happen again.

Don't worry bud it made me laugh, like someone sending me a recipe that called for boiling each ham 3 hours... thats like days of boiling with 5 pots.

LOL

Another thing, RonL posted me an EXCELLENT recipe. I am gonna do dizzy dicks recipe but for my own, not 100.

I may change my mind. I have time.

Another thing, RonL posted me an EXCELLENT recipe. I am gonna do dizzy dicks recipe but for my own, not 100.

I may change my mind. I have time.

Yeah, I understand the whole scale issue. I've never cooked 100 of anything except maybe wings :-D

I've never tried that recipe. i bookmarked it a while back while cruise the Dizzy Pig site because it sounded good.

I wonder if you could just smoke the hams as they are. The smoke flavor and the cure would probably give them a great flavor. It sure would be easier. I would thin that the cook times and temp from JD or Brewmaster or the Dizzy Pig site would hold true.

Yeah, I understand the whole scale issue. I've never cooked 100 of anything except maybe wings :-D

I've never tried that recipe. i bookmarked it a while back while cruise the Dizzy Pig site because it sounded good.

I wonder if you could just smoke the hams as they are. The smoke flavor and the cure would probably give them a great flavor. It sure would be easier. I would thin that the cook times and temp from JD or Brewmaster or the Dizzy Pig site would hold true.

Really I bet the brine is good. My main concern is actually the skinning.

I am NOT skinning 100 hams. I think I will change my demands a bit.

Back