First time vending ?

Smokin Pigs Ash BBQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I do on-site catering, But have been ask to set up and vend for a first year event! There will be 3 other BBQ vendors! On Friday there will be a Rib cook-off! So on Sat. people will be expecting ribs! How do you keep enough ribs on hand to supply up to 300 people all day. Is it possible to precook and reheat? Being that it takes 5 hrs to cook ribs, we will also be selling pulled pork.
Thanks

I do on-site catering, But have been ask to set up and vend for a first year event! There will be 3 other BBQ vendors! On Friday there will be a Rib cook-off! So on Sat. people will be expecting ribs! How do you keep enough ribs on hand to supply up to 300 people all day. Is it possible to precook and reheat? Being that it takes 5 hrs to cook ribs, we will also be selling pulled pork.
Thanks

Do you have all the equipment, licenses and permits to vend?

Why only 300 people?

If only 300 people, 3 vendors is 2 to many in my opinion.

There are "Rib Contests" There are "BBQ Contests" and there are "Rib Burns"

A "Rib Burn" is an event that is designed to make money---usually for a charity. A "Rib Burn" is touted as a "Rib Contest" so that folks with money will show up to buy ribs. Typical "Rib Burn" slogans are "Award Winning" and "Fall Off The Bone." Judging at "Rib Burns" has no criteria and no Certified judges. "Rib Burn" cooks are asked to cook enough ribs to feed "X" amount of people. This number is usually dreamed up by whoever is promoting the event.

Problem areas:
1) Are you doing this to make money?
Most events like this-sell tickets--vendors collect tickets--vendors get paid certain per cent of tickets worth--Translation-hard to make money
2) Quality of ribs
If the cook does not have proper equipment to turn out "competition" quality ribs---then the public is being cheated. If ribs are precooked, held for hours on steam table, etc--then the quality will be inferior

Would I cook at this event----yes, but not to make money, or to get exposure----I would cook for one reason only-----because I am 100% supportive of the charity being supported

Rib Burns will not make money, Rib Burns will not show cooking talent---Rib Burns are to cook as many ribs as you can to make the most money for a charity

If you mean total attendance is 300 people, I think you can get away with less ribs than a normal vending situation. Incidentally, the math doesn't pencil, three BBQ vendors for 300 people is pretty poor odds of making money, even less if there is other food.

Do you mean that you have to prepare 300 full portions, or assume that you are fighting for a share of 300 total attendees? Unless you have a large cooker, cooking for 2 bones for 300 people, you will need 50 racks ready for serving. That is a lot of space and coordination.

Back