UDS Full O Water

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Sooooooooooooooo, apparently the tarp I covered my newly built Big Poppa UDS with isn't water proof. We have gotten a ton of rain in the Portland area recently. It's 60 and sunny today so I was planning on throwing some ribs on the UDS. When I pulled the tarp off of the smoker I found a lid full of water. When I opened it I found ash soup in the drum all the way to the bottom vents.

The drum was nicely seasoned, If I empty the water out of the drum and do a nice hot burn will it be ok or is there anything else that I need to do? Should I sand and re-season? that will be a pain in the butt considering the seasoning on it.

Don't worry about the ribs though. Plan B went into affect and I threw them on the Kamado.

Thanks,

I would just dump the water out...give a little rinse...and start cooking.

drain it, check the vent holes for clear, and light yer basket.. done.
Happy Cookin'

Yep, dump it and light a fire to dry it. I'd get water in my drum from cooking sometimes, so don't sweat it.

Ain't you got a lid on that thing ? how you cook without a lid?

I agree with above - dump, rinse, cook.

Ain't you got a lid on that thing ? how you cook without a lid?

I agree with above - dump, rinse, cook.

The lid was on but like FWI said. There are vent holes in the flat lid. The vents were closed but obviously don't seal tight enough to keep standing water out.

I cleaned it out and let it burn for a couple of hours. I might through a couple of fatties in it tomorrow to get some fat back on the barrel.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like its time to build a BBQ Shed or get an Aluminum Porch Cover or something .....

Back