Reheating pork to cater question

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have been asked if I was interested in catering for my 20th high school class reunion. It is for the Sunday picnic with our families. Knowing that I will be at the class reunion on Saturday night and probably hitting a few beers I was thinking about cooking the pork on Friday and pulling it, then refrigerate it until Sunday morning. I have always cooked all night and served hot the next day. I know some of you cook it a day or two before you cater. How would you reheat it in a smoker? I know that about 5 butts will fit in a full size steam pan, I was thinking about pulling 5 butts to a pan and putting some apple juice in the bottom and refrigerating on Friday. Then on Sunday morning returning the pork to the pit at about 275 degrees sealing the pans with foil until it is hot again. What would you change about this plan? How long should I expect it to take to fully reheat the pork? Thanks for your help! Basing it on the 10 year reunion it was 150 adults and 50 children.

What size butts can you get 5 in a pan??? :shock:

Great plan, probably 2 hrs and you'll be at serving temp!

I normally don't put them in a full size pan but last fall I did 10 butts 7-8 lbs each for a lady and pulled them and put 5 butts of pulled pork in each pan.

I think your plan sounds good. I just did this two weekends ago and it turned out great. Only could get about 3 butts in a steam pan but heh. When I reheated the next day in an oven, I watered down some sauce and poured it over the pork to reheat. Couldn't even tell the sauce was there. Oh, included some Sprite in there too. Good combo.

I just catered a luncheon for 125 on Tues at a car dealership. I cooked the pork Sat. night in to Sun. Pulled the pork on Sun and refrigerated it. When I was ready to heat, I poured mixture of 50% apple juice to 50% water and added a few pinches of my rub into the mix. I reheated the pork @ 300 degrees in my smoker for 1 1/2 hours.

When I re-heat in a smoker @275 degrees I normally cover the pan with commercial plastic wrap then aluminum foil. To be safe you will need to re-heat the pork to 165 degrees before serving.

Back