Racine, WI Zoo B Que Results and some pictures

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are the top 10 results from the Racine, WI Zoo B Que. See the next post for some pictures. Brethren teams in bold.

Overall
Grand Florida Skin-N-Bones
Reserve Quau
3rd Big Bubbas Roadhouse BBQ
4th Chi-Town Smokers (BillM)
5th Windy City Smokers
6th The Heat is On
7th Doctor Porkenstein
8th Ulcer Acres
9th Porkrastinators
10th CancerSucks Chicago.com

Chicken
1st Doctor Porkenstein
2nd Chi-Town Smokers
3rd Windy City Smokers

4th Kre Smokers
5th Quau
6th Bass Ackwards BBQ (GGriffi)
7th Florida Skin-N-Bones
8th Get your wild game on (Parrothead, Ron_L, Mrb1986 and pimpsmoke)
9th Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
10th Ulcer Acres

Ribs
1. Porkrastinators
2. The Heat is On
3. Bunsen Burners
4. Quau
5. Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
6. Papa Hogg and the Pigglets (Papa Hogg)
7. Florida Skin-N-Bones
8th Windy City Smokers
9. Doctor Porkenstein
10. CancerSucksChicago.com

Pork
1. Big Bubbas Roadhouse BBQ
2. Windy City Smokers
3. Florida Skin-N-Bones
4th The Heat is On
5. Porkrastinators
6. Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
7. Quau
8. Bunsen Burners
9. Dr. Porkenstein
10. Papa Hogg and the Piglets

Brisket
1. Florida Skin-N-Bones
2. Big Bubbas Roadhouse BBQ
3. Ulcer Acres
4. CancerSucksChicago.com

5. Quau
6. Chi-Town Smokers
7. Bunsen Burners
8. Pugnacious Q
9. Slug Bug BBQ
10. Porkrastinators

Also, Three of the kids who were with Bass Ackwards BBQ placed in the top 10 for the Kid's Que (5th, 9th and 10th place) Sorry, Gary, I don't remember eveyones' names)

Zoo B Que was a fun contest again this year. It was held at the Racine, WI zoo, which is a nice location right on Lake Michigan. The Zoo coordinates other events including a CEO Grill-off for local company CEOs, a People's Choice competition and a couple of bands on Friday night and a Kid's Q and more live music on Saturday. These events brought out a lot of spectators which made the hole weekend more fun.

We had quite a few Brethren teams there including regulars GGriffi (Bassackwards BBQ) and Papa Hogg (Papa Hogg and the Piglets) and some of the better known local teams who visit the Brethren forum once in a while such as Scottie (Cancer Sucks Chicago.com), BillM (Chi Town Smokers), although Perry and Rob were cooking without Bill who is taking some time to concentrate on his sauce business, Kate and Alex (Dr. Porkenstein), Seth and the guys (Porkcrastinators), Rick and Shawn (Smoke Hunters) and Ulcer Acres (Randy, cooking solo).

There were 30 teams overall with most of them coming from the Midwest. Florida Skin-N-Bones came up to vend and also to grab the GC trophy (Congrats!). The Get Your Wild Game on team ended up DAM (Dead A$$ Middle). We were a bit disappointed in this since we thought that our food was pretty darned good, but you never know what the judges will think. I posted some pictures in the "News Flash" thread in Wood Pile. Otherwise I didn't take may pictures around the competition. Here's a couple of additional pictures plus our turn ins.

IMG_4061.jpg

Todd and the boys from Bass Ackwards BBQ posing for a picture with the Piggly Wiggly Pig.

Rick from Smokehunters really liked our kitchen, especially the hot running water. He used the sink and in return we made him the honorary "Dish Bitch" for the competition :-D

IMG_4073.jpg

Here's Greg (Parrothead) working on the Brisket turn-in...

IMG_4076.jpg

Here are the turn-ins. We lost a point or two on appearance (8s and 7s) so any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

IMG_4068.jpg

IMG_4070.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

Nice pics - nice to see that that Mark Born "Heat is on" - doesn't win them ALL...

I really wish I had a chance to do more competing this year....next year I am going to hit it hard...of course, that is what I said last year!

I can't comment on the turn-ins b/c I'm a novice. :icon_blush:

However, the idea of the contest at the zoo intrigues me. We're members of the Nashville Zoo and I think it would be a great way to raise money and bring in a different demographic to the site. :eusa_clap

Congrats to all the Brethren teams who did well. :eusa_clap

:?: So did the teams get to camp overnight, or did you guys have to leave on Friday night also?

Here are the top 10 results from the Racine, WI Zoo B Que. See the next post for some pictures. Brethren teams in bold.

Overall
Grand Florida Skin-N-Bones
Reserve Quau
3rd Big Bubbas Roadhouse BBQ
4th Chi-Town Smokers (BillM)
5th Windy City Smokers
6th The Heat is On
7th Doctor Porkenstein
8th Ulcer Acres
9th Porkrastinators
10th CancerSucks Chicago.com

Chicken
1st Doctor Porkenstein
2nd Chi-Town Smokers
3rd Windy City Smokers
4th Kre Smokers
5th Quau
6th Bass Ackwards BBQ (GGriffi)
7th Florida Skin-N-Bones
8th Get your wild game on (Parrothead, Ron_L, Mrb1986 and pimpsmoke)
9th Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
10th Ulcer Acres

Ribs
1. Porkrastinators
2. The Heat is On
3. Bunsen Burners
4. Quau
5. Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
6. Papa Hogg and the Pigglets (Papa Hogg)
7. Florida Skin-N-Bones
8th Windy City Smokers
9. Doctor Porkenstein
10. CancerSucksChicago.com

Pork
1. Big Bubbas Roadhouse BBQ
2. Windy City Smokers
3. Florida Skin-N-Bones
4th The Heat is On
5. Porkrastinators
6. Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
7. Quau
8. Bunsen Burners
9. Dr. Porkenstein
10. Papa Hogg and the Piglets

Brisket
1. Florida Skin-N-Bones
2. Big Bubbas Roadhouse BBQ
3. Ulcer Acres
4. CancerSucksChicago.com
5. Quau
6. Chi-Town Smokers
7. Bunsen Burners
8. Pugnacious Q
9. Slug Bug BBQ
10. Porkrastinators

Also, Three of the kids who were with Bass Ackwards BBQ placed in the top 10 for the Kid's Que (5th, 9th and 10th place) Sorry, Gary, I don't remember eveyones' names)

Ron,

The kids names were Carley Pigg, Skyla Stanley, and Dominic Fontana. For the record, my better half wanted me to tell you she is NOT one of the boys on the team! She is on the other arm of the PW pig. Also, looking at your pics I don't know how you all didn't do better. We still can't believe that we made our first walk yesterday.

Ron,

The kids names were Carley Pigg, Skyla Stanley, and Dominic Fontana. For the record, my better half wanted me to tell you she is NOT one of the boys on the team! She is on the other arm of the PW pig. Also, looking at your pics I don't know how you all didn't do better. We still can't believe that we made our first walk yesterday.

Thanks! Is Carley's last name really Pigg? How appropriate :-D

Tell your wife I am sorry... I didn't look that closely :rolleyes:

Pics look good... A little too heavy on the sauce in my opinion. I think the ribs and pork looked the best but the ribs look like a bit heavy on the sauce too. The chicken looks like it has a very light color underneath with a heavy coating of BH. Brisket is nice and even, but the sauce is so heavy, I cant even see the fibers of the meat. Looks more like bacon slices with that red color all over.

With that said, I'd like to have some of all of them so ship them up my way !!

Vinny, seems in the Great Lakes area, you HAVE to use a lot of sauce or the judges don't think it's BBQ. Ford Allison told me that once and we didn't pay enough attention when we did Grand Rapids.

Ron, both the chicken and the brisket look like they're missing sauce in some areas. Brisket has some pieces of what looks to be bark in the sauce lying on the surface of the slices. I'd remove those. Curious to know how your pork scored. Given the Great Lakes sauce "rule", I might have used more sauce on it. It does look excellent though... not dry looking at all. Good bark. The lower left rib seems like it has a piece sticking off the end near the exposed bone that detracts from the score. I'd score them: Chicken - 7, Ribs - 8, Pork - 9, Brisket 8. Did you guys glaze the sauce after you put it on the chicken and ribs or just paint it? I like to carmelize it a bit over high heat to make it nice and sticky. Could just be the photo but they look "wet". Where's the smoked meerkat? :lol:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The sauce does look heavy in the pics. I didn't think it was that heavy in person. We also missed the bit of bark on the brisket and the bit on the ribs. Greg has the score sheet so I don't remember the scores.

This brings up an interesting question... Do you think that the judges would pick up on those things? When I judged we had about 5 seconds to look at each entry before we had to write down a score. I just wonder if they would notice those little things in that short of time. Obviously they noticed something :roll:

Congrats to all the Brethren who walked. I had the pleasure of meeting Alex from Dr Porkenstein last week at Silver Lakes and it was indeed a pleasure. I look forward to seeing all of the Brethren teams on the comp circuit at some time in the near future.

Hey Jeff,

That is a very true statement for Michigan at least. I am sure it is the same for the rest of the region. We are working on that!! Right now good q to the average person in the area is something from Applebee's. We are having more CBJ classes in the area and hopefully we can get things where they need to be.

Vinny, seems in the Great Lakes area, you HAVE to use a lot of sauce or the judges don't think it's BBQ. Ford Allison told me that once and we didn't pay enough attention when we did Grand Rapids.

I judged there this weekend and i think we had your pork! after judging and hearing what was said by the other judges i do not think you had to much sauce. what i did learn is you need a hickory smell in the box and it needs to be smoking HOT!! The judges at my table and me wife patrnen and my sisters table all said the same thing .... Where's the hickory flavior. after talkinh with them i found thay ment the smell! I did like your pork. We also got raw pork lots of blood in the clamshell did not DQ but only 2 of us tryed it the rest scored it down hope this helps... are you going to menommonee falls?

I judged there this weekend and i think we had your pork! after judging and hearing what was said by the other judges i do not think you had to much sauce. what i did learn is you need a hickory smell in the box and it needs to be smoking HOT!! The judges at my table and me wife patrnen and my sisters table all said the same thing .... Where's the hickory flavior. after talkinh with them i found thay ment the smell! I did like your pork. We also got raw pork lots of blood in the clamshell did not DQ but only 2 of us tryed it the rest scored it down hope this helps... are you going to menommonee falls?

Nice observations about the hickory and the sauce. Have you been to the cattle call to introduce yourself?

gary

Here are some pics of my turn in's...I was not happy with my chicken a few of the pieces were way to dark, it did finish 16th over all & the brisket was 16th as well.

Once again it was great to meet all the brethren who were there & to have some of Ron L.'s fantastic coffee on Saturday morning!

Attachments

• IMG_2179.jpg
    IMG_2179.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg