How To Cook A Yak Brisket

RL Reeves Jr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We're picking up a couple yak briskets from a yak ranch in Weatherford Texas for our next pop up restaurant.

Looking for advice on how to cook these cuts as this is our first go at yak.

:twitch:What may I ask is a "POP UP RESTAURANT"? Yak I would assume has 1 foot out of the wild so it will be fairly lean like a Bison??? If it was me I would lard it then cook like a do all my Briskets or grind it and make yak burgers. I remember several yrs back I was crossin Penciltucky and was lured by the smell of some cookin meat to a place that sold OX burgers, they was really good so a Yak burger might sell really well sort of a novelty thing for those with an open culinary mind and a curious pallet.

Bludawg - A pop-up restaurant is a temporary restaurant. It can be in a private residence or a temporary use of an existing structure (such as a warehouse or sublet of some other business).

As for the Yak, because of how lean it is I would smoke it until a decent color and smoke had set in and then braise it until fork tender with vegetables, etc.

Yair . . . I'm laughing, you do really mean "yak".

Around some parts over here 'yak' is slang for brahman . . . by the way any of you blokes from Texas or anywhere they run yaks ever smoked brahman hump?

Cheers.

Oh I get it it's a pasture party/ barn dance / BBQ with better wine:doh: thanks

Currently reading up on all the yak literature out there. We're considering putting a light smoke, maybe 2 hours, on the briskets on the offset, chilling the meat, then carving medallions and temping them as the orders come in- in a blazing hot cast iron.

Perhaps some brethren from the Himalayan BBQ Society will chime in with some tips and advice.
As for me... I got nothing.

Reverse seared over oak Sliced thin served on a corn tortilla with fresh cilantro pico and creme'
Topped with a tequila soaked grilled jalapeño sprinkled with kosher salt

We're throwing a food party in Austin, Texas on Sat Feb 8th at Tamale House East.

We'll be cooking yak, making alligator boudin, antelope carbonnade and goose porchetta.

We'll also be rolling out our Carolina Reaper hot sauce.

As always there will be a big vat of chile con queso with handmade totopos.

Bourbon pecan cobbler is our sweet treat.

http://www.scrumptiousche...-Feast-On-Exotic-Meats

Hope any brethren living in Central Texas can come out.

I don't know anything about yak brisket, but I had yak chili at a Himalayan restaurant a few months ago and it was fanfarkingtastic. The meat was thin sliced, tender and delicious. I'm very interested in hearing how this goes with the brisket.

Back