View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Default I Hate To Kick a Dead Dog But ....

Yep. Me to, White Smoke in UDS.

Last time we talked about my issue we discovered I had a major creosote issue. It was determined that I did not have enough ventilation with my 4 3/4" elbowed vents. I was told to use the 2" bung on top instead.

Yesterdays cook was simple. Sausage like you get at Randevouz in Memphis. This was so I could test the using 2" bung and nothing more. Same issue, very thick white smoke, major creosote taste after cooked. Got the crappy taste and numb, burning tongue. Using RO lump at the 250 degree mark. Cooked sausage for 1 hour like I did the first time that it turned out great.

I am thinking a few things:

1) I need to loose them 18" black pipe risers and go ball valves straight out of the drum and still use my black pipe capped intake as well.

2) Start using bricks instead of lump.

3) Let fire settle in long before putting food on.

My first 2 cooks were great and food tasted as it should have. Mouth watering greatness! These last two cooks, I used the same lighting and fire settling in techniques that I used the first 2 good cooks except these last two had issues.

On another note, my lid is covered with dripping black liquid smoke. ( ??? ) Should I clean this off after each use to keep it from dripping back on food? I never cleaned the UDS after the first creosote fiasco.

Thanks for taking a look folks.

Ray

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote