1st Cook on WSM Score! Beef Short Ribs (Dino Ribs)!

SY82

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time thread starter. The Brethren has been a great resource for me as I got into smoking. And it's where I got one heckuva deal on a 22.5 WSM courtesy of Moose of the Brethren! Thanks, Moose! I promised him I'd put up pics of my cook with the WSM, so here it is...

So for my first cook ever on a WSM, I decided to do beef short ribs (this was the first time I ever cooked beef ribs). Yup, my genius brain wanted to cook something I've never done before on a cooker I've never used before. :crazy: Luckily, things turned out better than expected.

Found some nice uncut short ribs at a Korean market. I had to ask the meat guy at the counter to check in the back. He brought out a couple packs, and I chose one that looked the best to me.
85r2.jpg
85r2.jpg

gcqk.jpg
gcqk.jpg

Prepped, rubbed, and ready to go.
8f4v.jpg
8f4v.jpg

Onto the cooker.
kdte.jpg
kdte.jpg

The awesome WSM chugging along. As you can see, its previous owner took very good care of it. :grin:
v5pl.jpg
v5pl.jpg

Side profile with the Pitmaster IQ110 attached (honestly didn't need it considering how easy it is to dial in the right temp and how well it holds once you set it). You can see the nice, thin blue smoke coming out the top vent. Beautiful.
t8yt.jpg
t8yt.jpg

After 3 hours at around 280 degrees.
c3l2.jpg
c3l2.jpg

All done after about 5 hours of total cook time.
nxqq.jpg
nxqq.jpg

sy3j.jpg
sy3j.jpg

Cut into individual dino ribs. These were a lot a bigger than I expected.
31g2.jpg
31g2.jpg

The money shot.
hkp3.jpg
hkp3.jpg

The ribs came out very tender and juicy. Overall, I was happy with the ribs. And I was very happy with how well the WSM performs. Except for one minor hiccup temperature spike (cause still unknown), that thing held temp like a champ.

Thanks again, Moose, for the awesome deal on the WSM! I know my family was very happy with the end results...
vefz.jpg

vefz.jpg

Props. Those ribs look fantastic, as does that WSM. I have yet to step up to some big beefy ribs; maybe this winter I'll work up the courage.

Great looking ribs! I haven't cooked many beef ribs. I see that you cooked 5 hours at 280. Is that a pretty typical cook time/and temp for beef back ribs?

Great looking ribs! I haven't cooked many beef ribs. I see that you cooked 5 hours at 280. Is that a pretty typical cook time/and temp for beef back ribs?

Not sure if beef back ribs are the same as the short ribs I cooked. I've never done beef back ribs before, so I don't know.

This was my first time cooking short ribs, and I scoured the internet looking for different methods. The most common I've come across is cooking at 275. I was actually planning on doing a 3-2-1 (3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped in foil, and 1 hour wrapped), but I noticed that after the first 3 hours, the ribs were actually probing pretty tender. So I switched the timing and cooked it covered for another 45 minutes (per Harry Soo of Slap Yo Daddy) and checked for tenderness after. It was probing really well, so I unwrapped it and set it back on for another half hour to try and get a better texture for the bark. Also, I checked to see how easily the meat was separating from the bone when I stuck my probe in there. So I pulled it when I felt the ribs were indicating that they were done. I was aiming for 275, but the cooker kind of settled around 280 on its own, and I didn't fight it. So the cook ended up being about 3 hours unwrapped, 45 minutes wrapped, and 30 minutes unwrapped.

I try to use times as mere guidelines, but ultimately, the feel and look of the ribs helps me to decide whether it's done or not. Hope that helps!

Just a note....I had my Pitmaster IQ hanging of my WSM...and it melted and died :sad:

Finally got around to responding to this - seems like the maiden voyage on your new (and my old) WSM went really well! :clap2:So glad it went to such a great home and looking FW to seeing lots more cooks from you! :thumb:

Back