View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
rockpyle
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
The way I would prep the uds is to dump about 3/4 chimney into the uds. Once it reaches 225 I would close off 1 vent. At 275 close off the 2nd vent. at 325 put the meat onto the smoker. The temperature will take a while to go up because of the large amount of cold meat you are putting into the cooker. Adjust your vents accordingly to maintain the 275 degrees.
This is very good advice. I just made 6 butts in a 2 grate UDS and underestimated the impact of putting so much cold meat into the smoker. I had the temps stabilized at my cooking temp and it took a long time to get back there. Had I taken it up to 325ish, I am sure it would have stabilized much quicker.

Live and learn, that's what is great about this hobby. It gives you a laboratory that is easy to play with, and the end result is yummy smoked meat! It is also why i have been a homebrewer for over 20 years. lot's of stuff to play with and learn, and you get to drink the results of your work!

Rock