Loaf help

Sandman4182

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Im looking at doing a BBQ Meatloaf tonight and was looking for tips tricks anything. I have never done a loaf on the grill. I know I wanna indirect it @ around 350. Do I put it in a loaf pan for right on the grill with a drip pan under it? Do I add a little pork to it? Ive got 75,25 beef since it was a crazy sale. Oh and I really dont wanna use Catchup I really dont like it at all.

Sorry for this being such a random all over post.

Pork is good, but the beef mix is just fine. I take some finely chopped carrots, onion, celery and bell peppers and saute them until tender , cool and add to the meatloaf mixture to help keep it moist.

I don't use a pan, but you can if you want. I use a foil baking sheet to keep the mix from sinking into the grate. It has holes in it to let the grease through.

I like to cook meatloaf at 275 until it hits 165 internal, but almost any temp will do.

This is a recipe from a guy who lives in Alaska who posts on another forum under the name of Griff.

Griff Loaf
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup onions finely diced
½ red pepper finely diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
½ cup grated parmesan
½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
¼ cup milk
1large egg lightly beaten
5 or6 dashes of Worcestershire
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1.5 lbs ground beef
1 lbs sausage (I use Jimmy Dean bulk)
Mix everything together and form into loaf. I smoke at 300-350* until the loaf hits 165*. Sauce can be added the last 15 minutes.
I form it into a loaf, then put it on the grate on parchment paper trimmed close so the drippings can fall into the drip pan.
Also use very little wood, as ground meat takes on smoke very easily.

A sheet like you would use for cooling cookies?
I use a bakers cooling rack, it lets the grease drain away and max smoke exposure. I put a piece of Parchment on the rack it makes removal after the cook easy. I mix mine a few hrs ahead, line a loaf pan with plastic wrap and press it in and chill it . When your ready to un-mold lay the parchment on the top place the rack on flip it over remove the pan & the plastic wrap.

Last edited:
Some times it's just plain easier to cook Meatloaf in throw away Aluminum pans. I like to use Sweet Baby Rays cut with black Coffee to baste the top. Tip of the hat to Myron Mixon... Pans work.

I smoke several at a time, and wrap and freeze all but the one I eat.

Last edited:
This worked for me, made the loaf ahead of time on parchment paper (cut just a bit bigger than the loaf) on a plate then let it sit in the fridge for a while. When it came time to transfer to the grate i just grabbed a corner of the paper and slid it right onto the UDS @ 350 for about an hour and it turned out great. And we always use beef pork mix, love it.

A sheet like you would use for cooling cookies?

Sort of... The ones that I use are flat and have 1/4" holes all over. I think they are sold for making pizzas. I can't find a picture and I don't have any in the house.

A foil loaf pan works well as mentioned. I poke some holes in the bottom to let the grease out. I'm not a fan of meatloaf sitting in grease.

Also, Frog Mats would work well.

http://frogmats.com/

Or just plank it like fish work good and a drip pan under.

Ok Im gonna grill it on my cookie cooling rack its like Frogmat. Ill post pics during the process. Thanks for all the great help everyone your awesome.

I use either one of these for meat loaf after giving it a good spray of non stick both sides. To this you could place either a strip of foil, or parchment to aid removal from the pan. Just know they will never get shinny clean again so these are dedicated for smoking. I use them for other things, cold smoking or cut up veges ect..

As for a the meatloaf, I make it the same as I do if cooking in my stove, so if you like yours use it, any bbq sauce is good, or go naked. Even my wife who sometimes complains that I smoke to many things really likes the meatloaf.
Dave

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/a...stc=1&d=1373744641id=81973&stc=1&d=1373744641

Attachments

• Image07142013113459.jpg
    Image07142013113459.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Image07142013113401.jpg
    Image07142013113401.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 54
Here's whats cooking tonight hickory smoked loaf with grill asparagus and taters.

Back