Seeking Smelt Solutions

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a couple pounds of frozen cleaned smelt yesterday with the intention of batter-frying them the standard way. I thought before I clogged my arteries the standard way, I'd solicit any alternative recipes the Royal Order of the Farker Brethren may have. Guys and gals, what say ye?

We always cooked them as fast as we could catch them :-D Lightly breaded in seasoned flour and pan fried, or, my favorite, on a stick over an open fire.

Hmm. Could just hit em' with some cajun seasoning and grill em up. I did it with some catfish last night and it was so good I forgot all about batter and frying. Only thing is smelt can be VERY fishy sometimes so be aware of that when cooking/seasoning.

But be sure to eat the first one's head, raw:)

I have not seined for smelt in 30 years. thanks for the memory

Hmm. Could just hit em' with some cajun seasoning and grill em up. I did it with some catfish last night and it was so good I forgot all about batter and frying. Only thing is smelt can be VERY fishy sometimes so be aware of that when cooking/seasoning.

That sounds worth trying! I've eaten a lot of smelt and love the fishiness, just wondered if anyone else had a fun off the wall recipe to try. Maybe I'll incorporate Ronelle's idea and yours. Cajun smelt on a stick! Gonna have to pr0n that for sure! Any other idears? Where's Cowgirl?!?!?

Wow, I haven't thought about smelts in years.
It must be 25 years since I last had them at my Mom and Dads house.

My Mom would would lightly bread them and then fry them in a cast iron pan.

I remember eating them, but don't remember how much I like them.

My first thoughts is don't fark up a good thing, fry them!

But since you asked.:mrgreen:

**Quick tip for taking the "fishy" out-soak them in a mild salt solution for an hour or so before you prep them for the fryer.
In high school I worked for a restaurant that had the best (top 5) fish fry in the Milwaukee area for 27 years (only 6 years not voted 1 or 2).
There were a few secrets but the best was the "salt wash" that made semi-frozen perch and haddock taste fresh... Still use the technique to this day.

But to give you an alternative, we would also do them the same as our other Lake Michigan gifts. Just like this (post #2) with a few modifications:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163601&highlight=salmon

Mods:
Wash, brine one hour for "smalls" two hours for large.
We would then line the racks with foil and line them up (upside down) with plaster slats (wood strips) separating the rows. smoke 45 min to 90 min depending on size at about 200.
To test for doneness by pulling one and letting it cool for a few min, pull the head from the body taking most of the spine and ribs with it.

Tons of work but REALLY worth it!!:thumb:

Sorry no pics, was years ago and have not had the smelting rig out in the last decade.:cry:

Years ago when we could get buckets of them, I smoked a load in my Little Chief smoker.
1st I brined them in your basic salt/water solution w/ a good amount of brown sugar to sweeten the deal. I don't remember the wood type I used for smoke. Smoked till just dried. They were fantastic.

Back