Chasing temps with the IQ110 and a Akorn Kamado

I use an iq110 with my wsm. No problems here. Can run 12 hrs on lump and 14 hrs with kingsford with a solid green light

So I recieved my Ique adapter for my Akorn yesterday and decided to try the ring of fire technique to do a low and slow burn. I put the adapter in with the longer side to the right and moved the blower hole to where it would blow straight into the ash pan. I then took a small piece of BGE gasket material and placed it to the left of the adapter to seal the end of the damper track. This allows the damper to slide over the end of the adapter and completely close any air gaps. I have BGE gasket material on my ashpan and around the top lid of the cooker so it is air tight. I then placed a ring of RO charcoal briquettes around the fire pan. No bucket of sand as shown. I started just the 1st 4 coals and then placed my diffuser (a water pan) on top of the coal on a grate. I turned the Ique on and set it for 225. Like this it ran for 13 hours and held a temp of 240-250 the entire time. I have a 1st generation model and had all the blower vents taped off except for 1 of them.

I've been having nothing but problems. Used 4 times, and the fire went out every time after about three hours. Have my top vent at one half, and the damper at 1. Use a ring of fire (tried volcano on first cook and it skyrocketed)with my new charcoal basket. Last cook I walked it up and everything was great for around 2 1/2 hours, then it overshot to 300 (set at 225), and then it killed the fire. I've been using Mali lump, which, according to the lump review website is very hard to light, so maybe that is part of the problem, so I'm gonna try with some Frontier or Stubbs briquettes. I have been trading emails with Matt, but if this keres up, I'm just going to return it.

I read the website on the IQ yesterday - set the top to .2-.25; 1 is too far open.

I just insulated both the firebox unit and the lower vents with Kamado gasket seal (#3). I took off the lower vent slider control (3 screws), sealed the slider and I was set to go. I also put the same gasket seal on the lower (removable) chamber. When I put on the IQ 110 adaptor, I further insulated it with RTV (high temp) silicone. End result: a steady 250 F when using the IQ 110. Took a while to get up to temperature (30 minutes?) but once up there it was quite stable. Love the combination of Acorn Kamado and the IQ 110--now that I've insulated air leaks, it seems to work like a charm. Haven't tried it on a windy day, however.

Back