Beginner Smoker for Grandfather - Suggestions?

All great suggestions..
I like Jim and Budman's idea of building one with him. He will enjoy the time spent with you. :cool::grin:

I think the mini WSM is a great idea. I snagged the grill portion from CL, just need the rest of the parts.

Bill

Define smoking? does he want to cold smoke cheese and meat, or does he want to actually BBQ smoke? Don't want to p off the old man and get him the wrong setup.

^that is my pet peeve, people call 'em smokers, I call 'em BBQs, unless they are strictly cold smokers.

Around here everything is a BBQ and no one has a farkin clue what bbq is.

This is a very inexpensive option.
728649739555lg.jpg

Lowes has them for $59.00

I concur. This is how I started and I'm a grandpa too. Lots of good suggestions here though. Another option is to watch Craig's List and pick one up that way.

If he is cooking for a small amount of people (2-4 people) Make a mini WSM (you can find detailed builds by googling it). You get quality time with gpop doing an easy build (takes less than 90mins to make it, including painting it) And it is super efficient (with a load of royal oak lump charcoal I can get 6+ hours, with a load of wicked good lump charcoal I can go 9+ hours)

If you don't want to build it, a 18in weber smokey mountain for $300. It is a little bit more expensive than the entry level smokers, however it is also ready to go right out of the box. It requires no mods to cook well, and it is very simple to learn how to use it.

I started out on a cheap $50 brinkman charcoal smoker from Lowes. I learned from that smoker that I loved smoking and I needed a bigger one.

Everyone has their own opinion, but if I had it to do over again I would.

Hey guys - I can't thank you enough for all the suggestions! Lots of great info here. I'm going to do some research, look into the WSM/UDS and hopefully have something narrowed down by this evening. As far as what he'll be cooking up, it will be pretty standard - brisket, pork butt, chicken, etc. I do imagine he'll end up getting more adventurous. As we all can attest to, rarely does it stop at those 3 cooks :) .

lots of great information here so far covering the full range of options.

i'd go with one of the lesser price models of ceramic type smokers since you have that kind and will likely be his goto for advice.

For a family get together with pops, I'd also think about a mini WSM. Smokey joe ($30), 32 quart tamale pot ($20), Tuna can ($2.00), cooking grate and charcoal grate ($20). Stainless hardware? B ess.. Grab the cheapest hw you can find and give them a vinegar soak. All zinc coating will be gone in a flash (or slightly slower).

Very easy to learn how to use while being efficient on the fuel usage. You can even cook a whole packer brisket on a mini, fold it over.

Back