Is there such a thing as "the integrity of bbq"?

Why even attempt to put any boundaries upon what a BBQ is or should be. It an be exeedingly simple or have great complexity. But I am strongly of the view that there is no place for well known precidence. Many of the Brethren are exceedingly innovative and I love it.
if you want to rely on the past please read the Calf Path - a favourite of mine.
The Calf Path

One day through the primeval wood
A calf walked home as good calves should;
But made a trail all bent askew,
A crooked trail as all calves do.
Since then three hundred years have fled,
And I infer the calf is dead.
But still he left behind his trail,
And thereby hangs my moral tale.
The trail was taken up next day
By a lone dog that passed that way;
And then a wise bell—wether sheep
Pursued the trail o'er vale and steep,
And drew the flock behind him, too,
As good bell—wethers always do.
And from that day, o'er hill and glade,
Through those old woods a path was made.
And many men wound in and out,
And dodged and turned and bent about,
And uttered words of righteous wrath
Because 'twas such a crooked path;
But still they followed — do not laugh -
The first migrations of that calf,
And through this winding wood-way stalked
Because he wobbled when he walked.
This forest path became a lane
That bent and turned and turned again;
This crooked lane became a road,
Where many a poor horse with his load
Toiled on beneath the burning sun,
And traveled some three miles in one.
And thus a century and a half
They trod the footsteps of that calf.
The years passed on in swiftness fleet,
The road became a village street;
And this, before men were aware,
A city's crowded thoroughfare.
And soon the central street was this
Of a renowned metropolis;
And men two centuries and a half
Trod in the footsteps of that calf.
Each day a hundred thousand rout
Followed this zigzag calf about
And o'er his crooked journey went
The traffic of a continent.
A hundred thousand men were led
By one calf near three centuries dead.
They followed still his crooked way.
And lost one hundred years a day,
For thus such reverence is lent
To well-established precedent.
A moral lesson this might teach
Were I ordained and called to preach;
For men are prone to go it blind
Along the calf-paths of the mind,
And work away from sun to sun
To do what other men have done.
They follow in the beaten track,
And out and in, and forth and back,
And still their devious course pursue,
To keep the path that others do.
They keep the path a sacred groove,
Along which all their lives they move;
But how the wise old wood-gods laugh,
Who saw the first primeval calf.
Ah, many things this tale might teach —
But I am not ordained to preach

One thing I wanna mention is something I haven't really seen addressed directly, which is, regional styles aside, it seems to me the integrity comes in when we look at how much thought and effort goes into preparing food. Not that cooking has to be a difficult task, but is the primary motivation serving the best possible food. Is it being prepared with pride or not?

We all strive for efficiency in varying degrees with our cooking process, but I'm guessing that most of us here draw a line where sacrificing quality comes into play. I'm thinking that where that line is drawn - quality vs. efficiency - is where a lot of us determine where the integrity is.

There is no doubt that there is this equation any time one of cooks, when you start looking at restaurants, this is one of the questions you have to ask. How far are you willing to go, to make BBQ that is sold out of your place. But, no matter what choice you make in how you cook, how you then market said food, and how you choose to position it as BBQ still comes into play. In truth, if I was to get into a restaurant that sold baby backs that were steamed then grilled, I think my opinion would be that I could not call them BBQ in my mind. But, I sure wouldn't hesitate to call them wood-fired ribs, assuming I was finishing them over a wood fire.

It gets a little more complicated when you look at a Southern Pride or Frederick smoker, that uses gas or electric for heat and wood for flavor. A lot of folks won't call that BBQ. But, what then, is it. If it is smoked with wood smoke, generated from burning wood, it is smoked. Given the above, I would call it BBQ.

Q'ing is in the blood . either you have it or you don't . It is one thing that you can't hand to some one .

It gets a little more complicated when you look at a Southern Pride or Frederick smoker, that uses gas or electric for heat and wood for flavor. A lot of folks won't call that BBQ. But, what then, is it. If it is smoked with wood smoke, generated from burning wood, it is smoked. Given the above, I would call it BBQ.

And I think most bbq snobs, even those of us that really like to adhere to tradition or the spirit of it as best we can, would agree this is still BBQ, but we'd probably say "restaurant BBQ", because it's tough for a restaurant to keep up with health code and the wood involved to have, use, keep a good old fashioned pit.

JohnHB, for some of us who grew up in the deep south, BBQ is part of our heritage. For us, grilling was never associated with BBQ; we grew up knowing there is a huge difference. BBQ to us, if not restaurant BBQ, was produced using a pit of one type or another, and the hogs or hog parts (1/2 hogs, whole shoulders, hams [what most now call fresh or green ham, because we called a cured ham a "cured ham"], etc.) were cooked fairly low and slow, usually over some combination of hickory, pecan, and oak.
Because of the scale of the endeavor, more often than not it was some type of party. We'd often call it a "pig pickin'".

I compete occasionally. I have a competition partner who enjoys competing too. I prefer to compete in MBN competitions because it embraces the heritage I described above. My friend enjoys KCBS/FBA competitions, because frankly he enjoys eating brisket. Nothing wrong with that; different preferences...

Going back to "restaurant BBQ" talked about briefly above; when I try to think back and recall the BBQ restaurants we'd eat at when I was a kid, I dont ever recall them having/serving either chicken or brisket. Mind you, I'm from the deep south; where if it's called BBQ it's PORK; pulled pork, and that's what BBQ restaurants served. If they served anything else, it was ribs. Fries, cole slaw, beans. That was about it. Sweet Tea, or beer.

I cook the way I want too cook and piss on everyone else, I don't force anyone to eat what I cook But when I'm getting paid too cook ,I will cook how they want it and my intergity goes out the door

The United States, and the Americas in general have a long tradition of cooking outside. I lean toward BBQ stemming from the word barbacoa and it is surely most closely related to our traditional low and slow cooks.

"Having a Barbacue" has popularly included any sort of outdoor cooking, including actually serving a clam bake, for the better part of 50 years. Aussie's have long hated the term "throw another shrimp on the barbie" as well.

We've certainly experienced a renaissance of low and slow cooking over the last 15 years both in the kitchen and outside. I won't judge the process of anyone who's taken the time and energy to consistently turn out a good product. I also don't know that I feel people avoid reasonable innovation are doing any more important work than people who dress up as the pilgrims. Remember, even the stick burner was a revolutionary change at one point. Do what makes you happy and some people will find enjoyment in it!

My dad and I make lasagna. Every time either of us make it we are showered in compliments. But, the only opinion we actually care about is eachothers. We judge them harder than anyone is paying attention. We all share cooks on here for a similar reason - a lot of people we feed don't understand.

A movement like the one we are experiencing will have purists and revolutionaries.. With good product I think they both have room to be appreciated. For now, the fact remains, most people can invite friends over for a bbq ... serve them electric grilled hot dogs on a picnic table and all is well with their world.

i'm constantly throwing hissy fits when the term bbq is used loosely.
throwing bbq sauce or a sauce on something warmed up in the oven is not bbq. yet you see many if not most of the celebrity cooks doing this.

The United States, and the Americas in general have a long tradition of cooking outside. I lean toward BBQ stemming from the word barbacoa and it is surely most closely related to our traditional low and slow cooks.

"Having a Barbacue" has popularly included any sort of outdoor cooking, including actually serving a clam bake, for the better part of 50 years. Aussie's have long hated the term "throw another shrimp on the barbie" as well.

We've certainly experienced a renaissance of low and slow cooking over the last 15 years both in the kitchen and outside. I won't judge the process of anyone who's taken the time and energy to consistently turn out a good product. I also don't know that I feel people avoid reasonable innovation are doing any more important work than people who dress up as the pilgrims. Remember, even the stick burner was a revolutionary change at one point. Do what makes you happy and some people will find enjoyment in it!

My dad and I make lasagna. Every time either of us make it we are showered in compliments. But, the only opinion we actually care about is eachothers. We judge them harder than anyone is paying attention. We all share cooks on here for a similar reason - a lot of people we feed don't understand.

A movement like the one we are experiencing will have purists and revolutionaries.. With good product I think they both have room to be appreciated. For now, the fact remains, most people can invite friends over for a bbq ... serve them electric grilled hot dogs on a picnic table and all is well with their world.

I just kinda scanned the posts and was wondering when barbacoa would be mentioned.
It has always been my understanding that BBQ was introduced to the US by the Barbary coast pirates and the term meant "tail to snout" IIRC

No grilling is not barbeque it's grilling. To be honest I'm not sure smoking is either

I give kudos to folks like Boshizzle and Pitmaster T, who have done actual research and brought forth the documentation, at least recorded it, to help maintain these traditions and histories. I suspect, it sounds like there are others, such as R L Reeves Jr. doing the same. In the end, that is going to be a key aspect of maintaining our history and what we like to think of as BBQ.

Thanks, yep, the Texas traditions, while still strong, are being chipped away at; primarily the handmade sausage is vanishing. A lot of the celebrated joints are "bringing it in", doesn't mean it's not good but they're weighing the cost ($15 hr) vs calling a local factory and making their business decisions thusly.

I started writing about Texas (and KY and Alabama) bbq in '91 and there's been a seismic shift since those halcyon days.

Back