• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pitmaster T's Video Recipe Series - Popdaddys Tri Level Method on a UDS

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have cooked enough briskets to equate to a house, usually 50 to 70 at a time. I wanted to build a UDS (Upright Drum Smoker) because firing up my Meat Mama 3000 and Brazos Stick Burners are so expensive if you are not smoking a big load. I also like sleep and this puppy with my Big Ass Firebasket Design smoked nearly 20 hours on 16 pounds at 230 degrees. Needed only one kick at 12 hours to settle the ashes. Not that I will ever use 20 hours worth of burn but dang if it won't hold at 150 for hours too.
Maybe its the twin one inch internal draft?

Also in the video.... My Rub Process. In 2006 or so I perfected the "Tri-Level Rub method." Now you can see an update... For those also wanting to see both the cooking quality of a UDS AND the whole Butcher Paper thing I have used for years, here it is.

[ame]http://youtu.be/lAv7XZRXFAE[/ame]

someone get TRUFUNK in here. I only did this so I could get him a new Prince Bootleg!

Nice. I just bought my 1st brisket yesterday. Figure I'll give it a try in a day or two. Wasn't sure what was in your grace jones grabber. Course I justed started watching your videos, so I know you might have already covered it in another video. How long did you cook that one?

Grace Jones Rub Grabber, LOL. 2/3 Part Molasses, 1/3 part Soy or Worchestershire Sauce, 1/3 Balsamic Vinegar

I made this both because I Liked the profile but when getting a crew of 3 or 4 newbies (sometimes old women) to make 30 to 70 briskets, they seem to like painting more than rubbing mustard on. lol. I have used coffee, WS and Molasses too. Thats old school wagon train stuff though.

It sounded like the Purple One for the background music....damn...is that a new jam?

Oh wait...briskie video......nice work.....think I might have to "borrow" the black sauce for my next smoke....

Thats RIGHT...Sorry, My bad LOL No, I have no idea why I wrote it that way... NONE at all... its 3 parts Molasses, one part of the other three. No 1/anything.

so 3 parts Molasses
1 part soy or worschestershire... I think someone once told me they use that instead
1 part Balsamic Vinegar
1 part Ohhhh yeahhhhhhhhh I forgot an entire ingredient.....

I don;t even show it in the video....

So... its 3 parts Molasses, and a part of everything else, except the part I left out... which is black...then stir in short 1 and a half three parts double timed circles....

I can say, without shame... I want your meat in and around my mouth.

Back