• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BGE grate and grid questions... more musings from a n00b

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a few cooks done now, so the gaskets on my LBGE should be set if they needed to be. I made sure the nuts/bands are all tightened up again, so now I will try to make pizza tonight (i'll post that adventure in a separate thread.

My questions today are about cast iron grids and the fire/charcoal grate:

1). I bought the BGE CI grid. The Craycort CI grid costs about the same. I like that the Craycort one has inserts which can be removed so that the whole grid need not be removed if you need to add charcoal, or wood chunks. Having said that, do any Craycort users find they get charcoal dust on their food because it lands on the rest of the grid when reloading lump?

A point against the Craycort is that if you do have to remove the whole thing then there are 4 pieces of it to deal with. The BGE CI grid is a one-piece deal like most cooking grids. I guess what I'm trying to ask is if folks prefer one over the other. My BGE CI grid is brand new, so I should be able to return it if needed.

2). I tried to clear the holes of the fire grate during a pork butt overnight cook , and almost tipped the fire grate which would have dumped the coals in the bottom of the egg. Is there a right side up for the grate? I though I read that the more flat side might have to face up? Also, any mods to prevent tipping of the grate? I don't have a drill press, so drilling holes and running vertical bolts as "legs" may not be feasible.

3). Folks seem to like the High Que fire grate alot, but what is the difference between that and a Weber SJ charcoal grate? The Weber one is nearly 1/4 the price.

Thanks!

I have the HighQue grate for my large and really like it. Much better airflow. It is very solid and heavy stainless steel. I'm not sure about the size of the weber grate, but it is not stainless and will not last as long, especially with the super high temps you can reach with the egg.

Not a lot of help but I thought the BGE CI cooking grate was 2 piece at least it is for the XL.

Not sure how you are trying to clear your Fire Grate but a wiggle rod works great. Stick it in through the Intake door and up through the holes in the Fire Grate and wiggle.

Picture008-1.jpg

I just have the standard grates and fire grate so I can't address those questions, one thing I did learn from thirdeye is that I had my fire grate in upside down. I've since flipped it over but I honestly don't notice a big difference.

Here's how it's supposed to go.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2181287&postcount=11

I knew I had seen that post on here before. I checked tonight and my grate is set the right way (dumb luck I guess).

I have the HighQue grate for my large and really like it. Much better airflow. It is very solid and heavy stainless steel. I'm not sure about the size of the weber grate, but it is not stainless and will not last as long, especially with the super high temps you can reach with the egg.

Thanks. I guess that is why the High Que grate is more expensive - because it is more durable.

Not a lot of help but I thought the BGE CI cooking grate was 2 piece at least it is for the XL.

Not sure how you are trying to clear your Fire Grate but a wiggle rod works great. Stick it in through the Intake door and up through the holes in the Fire Grate and wiggle.

I had tried with the ash tool, which doesn't quite fit in the holes of the grate, and so was easy to almost tip it over and dump the coals. I just finished making a wiggle rod before I saw your post. Cost about $8 to make with 1/4" rod and a file handle from HD... and my crazy good bending skills! Its about 23" long. Should be much easier to clear ash from the holes now.

IMAG1079.jpg

Ditto on going in thru the vent door- use your wiggle rod or the ash tool to wiggle/tap the fire grate from below to clear it if necessary (pretty rare unless you are using very small pieces of lump from the bottom of the bag).

Regarding adding lump during a cook, I have never had to do that on a long cook. The egg will go all day/night on a decent load of lump.

Get yourself a high-que grate, and then you can essentially throw out your wiggle rod- you'll never need it again.

I don't know about the weber grate, but as mentioned above, if it is not as well made, it will work for a little while, but you'll have to replace it eventually. But in the scheme of things, the price of the High-que is not all that unreasonable- and it is sooo much better than the BGE fire grate.

If I may ask, what makes the high-que grate so much better than the original? Does your fire start quicker, temps stay more stable?

Better air flow. The ash drops through the grate rather then plugging up the holes. I've never felt the need for a "wiggle rod", even on very long cooks.

High-que is the way to go. Well worth the money. Grill comes up to temperature faster and I have never had a problem with it clogging up.

Just for sh!ts and grins, I might try the SJ charcoal grate since the principal is the same and it is much cheaper. I can buy 3-4 SJ grates for the price of a High Que.

My Egg is in its 4th year and still used 6 times a month on average but alot more in the first year. No problems with the factory grate and never needed a wiggle rod. I always use royal oak lump. I guess Ive been lucky but I'm always amazed at how well the Egg drops the ashes compared to my UDS where I get the occasional bridge and need to shake things up.

My Egg is in its 4th year and still used 6 times a month on average but alot more in the first year. No problems with the factory grate and never needed a wiggle rod. I always use royal oak lump. I guess Ive been lucky but I'm always amazed at how well the Egg drops the ashes compared to my UDS where I get the occasional bridge and need to shake things up.

Do you use lump in your drum too? If not, that may be the difference. I've noticed that briq ash can get kinda cakey sometimes, especially if it is wet outside.

I've been using my wiggle rod and really like it. Its been useful for other cookers as well.

Just for sh!ts and grins, I might try the SJ charcoal grate since the principal is the same and it is much cheaper. I can buy 3-4 SJ grates for the price of a High Que.
I was curious as to how this worked out for you.

Back