Boston Butt Advice

u-joint

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hey Brethren,

I am hosting an event this Sunday in which I will be preparing pulled pork. I have smoked a Boston butt a few times before, but each of those times it was more of a "it's done when it's done" approach, and we ate dinner whenever the pork decided to get done. This being an event with guests and specific timing, I am fretting a little more about making sure the timing works out.

I've purchased a bone-in, roughly 9.5 lbs, Boston butt. From my experiences, and what I've read, I can expect about 1 - 1.5 hours of cook time per pound. This works out to about 10-15 hours. That's a pretty big window.

I'd rather err on the side of caution, and get it done early, but I am not sure what I'd do with the butt to keep it as fresh and tasty as possible while waiting on guests.

Suggestions?

My normal cooking temp is about 230-235. At that temp, you would probably be around 14-15 hours for that 9.5lb butt. If you get done early, just double wrap in heavy duty foil and place in a small cooler. You should be able to hold the butt for quite a while that way.

What temp are you wanting to run at? I run my drum at 275-280, should go a little faster. You could also foil it at 160 it would help power thru the stall. Good luck!

I agree with Big Mike , I also like to cook on the cooler end and I always double wrap in tin foil then wrap in a beach towel and let rest inside a cooler. I have let it rest for up to 3 hrs and it was still to hot to pull by hand without getting burnt! Just start early and if you finish rest up until guest are suppose to arrive and shred away!

Thanks for the advice guys.

This will be my first run with my UDS, so I am not sure what temp she likes to run at... I guess I'll figure that out tomorrow. Generally, though, I usually shoot for 250.

I just did these 2 beauties a couple days ago, 225 for 12 hours, no foil or anything (didn't really stall) incredible results

45845FBF-6E4E-4C61-9297-431EF4F467AB-4075-000001A2B4145598.jpg

Cooked two the same size last weekend @ 300. Done in about eight hours.

I'm now a fan of hot & fast!

Another one for the double foil, towel, and into a cooler. I like to wrap them in as many towels as I can fit in the cooler. I held a butt this way for about 4.5 hours and it was still too hot to handle when I went to pull it. I just plan to get done early and know I can hold it this way.

I cook mine at 300 on the grate time averages 45 min lb .There is no stall just a steady march to perfection!

Easy. Start your cook early. When the butt is done, wrap it in foil, and a towel, and toss it in a cooler. You have a good three hours and it will be hot and ready to pull.

Don't stress out with a pork butt. Pork butt is very forgiving. Start early, finish early, and let it rest in a cooler like I described. Pork butt is the easiest meat to smoke. Just get it done early, foil it, wrap it in a towel, and stuff it in a cooler, and you can be done three hours early, and it will taste like it just got done five minutes ago.

Can any brethren give me an Amen?

CD

Easy. Start your cook early. When the butt is done, wrap it in foil, and a towel, and toss it in a cooler. You have a good three hours and it will be hot and ready to pull.

Don't stress out with a pork butt. Pork butt is very forgiving. Start early, finish early, and let it rest in a cooler like I described. Pork butt is the easiest meat to smoke. Just get it done early, foil it, wrap it in a towel, and stuff it in a cooler, and you can be done three hours early, and it will taste like it just got done five minutes ago.

CD

Tell it brother!

Few days ago I cooked two 9lbers. The one to be sliced was foiled and coolered at 1:30. When I sliced it at 6:30 it was steaming hot!

Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate the suggestion. I will be starting it early and putting it in the cooler for sure.

The event is at 1pm Sunday. I am thinking about starting cooking at 10pm tonight, sound about right?

Cooking at 250 has pork done at 10 hr mark for me.
It takes about 5 hrs to hit plateau and then 5 hrs to finish.
We have been cooking fat side up for first 5 hrs then flipping/saucing for the finish.
You can wrap at the turn if you are trying to finish quicker or want to protect the color.
After you remove the pork from the cooker, put it to bed. Wrap it in some foil, a pan, butcher paper and stash it somewhere to keep it warm and to stay out of it. It should hold for several hours with no problem.
Pork is very forgiving. Enjoy the cook.
jon

CD

Amen brother!

The other thing I do is to put the meat into a roasting pan that has been warmed in an oven. Then I set that in a picnic cooler which has been prewarmed with some hot water. That really extends the time the meat will stay hot. (For safety, you want to keep the meat above 140° to prevent bacterial growth.)

When I'm serving for lunch, I usually try and put the meat on around 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm and cook it at around 250*. For a 9# - 10# butt, it usually takes me 12 hours +- 1 hr. So it gets done between 7:00 am and 10:00 am, but often right on the 12 hr mark. Foil and cooler will hold for a long time, as long as you aren't opening it up. I try and plan for holding at least 2 hr, because the hold really works magic.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the suggestions worked out great!

It came off the smoker at 10am, and I wrapped it in a couple of layers of foil, and then wrapped that in several towels. Then I placed the whole thing into a cooler.

I let it sit for 2 hours, and when I went to remove it the foil was still hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold by hand. It does not appear to have lost any temperature.

Thanks guys!

Rock on, tell us how everything turned out and show us some pron of the cook!

It smoked for exactly 12 hours at 250. When I went to pull it off, IT was 195.

This turned out perfectly, and all my guests thought it was a success.

Attachments

• 2012-12-30 12.00.46.jpg
    2012-12-30 12.00.46.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 37
Back