Any good Prime rib recipes?

I usually give the roast a good dose of kosher salt and some pepper. Toss it on the Egg @ 350 or so and wait for the internal temp to get to ~120. Take it off, rest it, eat!

If it's not a large roast, then I might lower the pit temp to the 250 tange till the internat gets to ~115, take it off, crank up the heat, and sear the outside - love the reverse sear.

Some folks marinade etc, and if you search you will find some recipes for that. I am sure someone else will chime in soon.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of the reverse sear... Coat the meat with whatever rub you want, salt and pepper, or montreal steak, or another rub you happen to like on beef. For medium rare, cook it at 225 (i use a chunk of hickory)till the inner temp is 115, pull it, crank the grill as hot as you can make it, put meat back on to sear for a few minutes. Rest for 20 min, then cut.

I've become a fan of the KISS method for rib roasts.

I make a paste of garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil and give the roast a nice coating and cook it at 225-ish until it hits 125-130 internal, then rest, slice and eat. It gets a nice color on the outside and a nice even color throughout. The higher cook temps and reverse sear all cook the outer edge more than the middle. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer a more even temp across the roast.

Dang it all - now you guys are making me want another rib roast for dinner....

I do the whole prime rib (usually boneless) on my Weber Kettle rotisserie. I rub mine down with worcestershire, montreal steak seasoning and some additional granulated garlic, I try to do this a couple days ahead of time. On the rotisserie with cooker temps 225-250 til IT of 120-125, I add a little mesquite for smoke. while the rib rests I get my cooker as hot as I can usually 400-500, Put the PR back on to give it a good crust, takes about 10 minutes, comes out a perfect rare to medium rare.

I hit it with kosher salt and cracked black pepper, cook at 200 until an IT of 120, pull out of cooker, crank heat way up, stick back in for a crust, rest at least 30 minutes and eat.

Reverse sear. The last one I completely cut off the fat cap. Coated in EVOO, S&P, Lawry's, parsley and Foil Hat Rub -- but you can use most anything. I'm not a huge fan of raw garlic, but do like a chile-garlic rub. I generally cook at 225* with oak until the center is roughly 125*. I take it off to rest, covered in foil for at least 20 minutes. I'll then give it a sear for a couple minutes a side at 600*. Here it is sliced:

IMG_6430.jpg

You will get temperature cook ranges all over, from 200*-350*. Like Ron_l says, the lower the temp, the more evenly cooked it will come out.

Reverse sear. The last one I completely cut off the fat cap. Coated in EVOO, S&P, Lawry's, parsley and Foil Hat Rub -- but you can use most anything. I'm not a huge fan of raw garlic, but do like a chile-garlic rub. I generally cook at 225* with oak until the center is roughly 125*. I take it off to rest, covered in foil for at least 20 minutes. I'll then give it a sear for a couple minutes a side at 600*. Here it is sliced:

IMG_6430.jpg

You will get temperature cook ranges all over, from 200*-350*. Like Ron_l says, the lower the temp, the more evenly cooked it will come out.

That's the ticket right there, I try to get that nice even cook all the way through! Great shot there Gore!

I find it is not easy to achieve even cooking. I guess I am not cooking at a low enough temp. I use a rub of garlic and rosemary and wood smoke is essential!

If you're cooking a rib roast for only your self and your other even temp is OK. But different folks like it cooked rare to well done. So if you cook to 140 or so you will have medium well on the ends and rare in the middle.

What if my family doesnt like their prime rib so rare, Im cooking it in the oven, (no time to Q it up today) what temp should I be looking for so its not rare??

If you're cooking a rib roast for only your self and your other even temp is OK. But different folks like it cooked rare to well done. So if you cook to 140 or so you will have medium well on the ends and rare in the middle.

If they don't like it they way I cook it they can order pizza! :-D

Actually, for folks who prefer theirs more done I just give their slice a minute or so on the grill.

Back