Advice Needed on New Smoker

F

FlaDave

Hi - I am new to this forum and have been smoking low and slow for 20+ years on my large BGE and previously a bullet smoker. I smoke 2X a month year-round. I usually use lump charcoal with wood chunks. My favorite Q is Carolina style pulled pork. Usually, I light the smoker at night and let it go until morning. I have good luck with this method and my logging thermometer says the temp stays relatively steady. Best, I have Q for breakfast. I do not do competitions but, everyone likes my Q.

Recently my neighbor threw out a inexpensive offset smoker and I had to grab it and at least save it from a metal scrapper. In 5 years, I never saw it used. It just sat in beside the house. It is a Char Griller Smoker Pro

I have been reading that these are often terrible smokers but can be modified to be OK smokers.

Is there any reason I should modify this smoker and use it vs my BGE or should I just put it on Craigs list and make my neighbor some baby backs?

Thanks in advance.

I have two cheap offsets that I have modified into reverse flow. I use the minion method with the firebox. It will take while to learn to cook on it, but I live my offsets.

You can get accesories for your Egg that will greatly expand your cooking area. That does an awesome job

Ooops

So strange, a couple of days ago I posted (or thought I posted) and periodically refreshed the page and did not see my post. I thought perhaps the URLs I put in the post got flagged as selling stuff. Has anyone else seen this issue? I am using Firefox with AdBlock and NoScript.

Back