Pre contest Jitters

txschutte

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm sure you all have them, or have had them.

Getting ready for my first KCBS contest this weekend as the Head Cook. I have been going crazy with list, more lists, journals, then checking my list of lists.:crazy:

Done KCBS before, but just as a lackey. Nervous, hoping for a walk, but just don't wanna be DAL.:laugh:

Good luck! Take notes on things you forgot and didn't expect so you know next time. Don't stress out too much....enjoy yourself (but not too much). Make some friends and some memories and let us know how you did.

I think that's pretty normal. Make a check list of all your cooking steps so you won't forget anything during the event. We had our first cook of the season two weeks ago. The guy on our team that I put in charge of timing wasn't there. That messed me all up. I got all nervous trying to do too much. I missed several small steps for each meat which added up to a snafu. As soon as we got home I made a check list. Make that list so even when nervous your good to go.

We competed in our first KCBS event a couple weeks ago and we were pretty nervous going in. How were a couple of newbies cooking on WSM's, sleeping outside in camp chairs under an EZ-Up who didn't even know how to set up camp going to compete with teams sleeping in motor homes and cooking on several thousand dollar cookers?

A couple of thoughts calmed us down...
1. The pressure was on THEM not us. The experienced teams were supposed to win.
2. Instead of getting upset if something didn't go right, we looked this first time out as a learning experience, making note of both our errors and successes.
3. We set a realistic goal...just turn everything in on time.

Especially after we realized the first point, we calmed down, cooked with confidence and surprised ourselves at how well we did.

Motor home or not, high dollar cooker or not...it doesn't get much easier. It's stressful and exciting. Cook your cook. Be proud and learn from what was right and what was wrong. Listen to the guys that are successful and you will learn the subtleties of a successful contest.

Geez. Just won my first grand and now I think I know it all. Seriously though there is A LOT of great information on here.

you're a good cook right(i know ya'ar)! that's 99% of the battle. don't sweat, you'll be just fine.

enjoy the jitters, get them juices flowin and go cook!!!

Yep...still get 'em...when I stop...I'll quit! :becky: Good luck brother! Better yet...have fun! :thumb:

Shane,
You're gonna do well.
I'm still really a greenhorn at this comp thing. I've only done 5, but we have been wildly successful by our standards. A call at every comp.
We still follow the same three rules we used at our first:
1. Don't miss any turn-in times.
2. No DQs.
3. No DALs.
Then we just let the chips fall where they may.
Have a great weekend, enjoy the atmosphere, talk with the other teams, engage the public when/if possible.
Have fun!

Shane,
Just do you. Make as many lists as you want. Like Clark said, in the end don't miss any turn ins, make sure to not do any DQ's and you most likely won't have any DAL issues. Truest in yourself and your abilities. Don't forget to breath and move to your own rhythm, not the one that everyone else thinks you should.

Think as a boss like you do in your regular job. I always take an atomic watch and double check it w/my cellphone time. Keep your cool, plan for the worst and hope for the best. If you get a DAL consider it a great learning experience. Don't be afraid to ask other teams for a bit of advice.

Just oversee everything and everything should turn out just fine. Good Luck brother.

Our motto is: Have fun, cook well and not come in DAL... The only goal we ever have is to get all four in on time.

Make a checklist and check it before you leave your house, and stick to your game plan.

Fingers crossed for you!

Relax, have a good time, socialize, but when the time comes, cook like you own the place!!!

Patron has been known to calm the nerves.......

Best wishes and good luck!

Back