BBQ Brethren "Brisket Appreciation" Throwdown!

Redhot's Bourbon, Twisted Mokka Java Brisket - TEASER!

This is my very first brisket y'all but we used a recipe about 2 years ago and the flavor was amazing (though it was done in the oven:shock:). So we looked it up and I modded the heck out of it. I prepped it this morning and it's sitting happily in the fridge until I do the cook tomorrow. Started off with an untrimmed 11 lb brisket. Since there are two cooks in this house and we both wanted to enter deguerre cut the point off of the flat, and since I'm always flat out right, Guerry get's the point (pun intended) and I took the flat! I trimmed almost a lb of fat off of the flat...
brisketflat.jpg

briskettrimmed.jpg

Then rubbed with Texas Wild
Rubbed-4.jpg

Mixed the marinade/braising ingredients:
Ingredients-5.jpg

3/4 cup strong brewed coffee (Roastin' Ronnie's Twised Mokka Java)
1/2 cup bourbon (I used George Dickel)
1/2 cup Bigbutz Xtra Hot BBQ sauce
1/2 cup Soy Vay Island Teriyaki (way better/thicker that Kikkomon's)
2 T vinegar (I used some vinegar I pickled red jalapenos in)
1 T oil (used EVOO)
Gave it a good shake in a glass jar then added it to a Phubag (didn't have any other bags big enough for this sucker)
Rubbedandbathedinthemarinade.jpg

Can't wait to see how my very first brisket turns out, better than Shane's I hope!:becky:

I'm getting the feeling this is going to be very painful for me to watch, more so even than the spam, but in a completely different way.

Awe, come on Gore, this is my very first brisket - ever - you should be cheering me on. Hoping it will turn out...better than, nevermind...:shock::becky:

Awe, come on Gore, this is my very first brisket - ever - you should be cheering me on. Hoping it will turn out...better than, nevermind...:shock::becky:

Oh, I know it will turn out, but I'm a LONG way from a BBQ brisket, which is why this is painful.

Great job, Phrasty! That is a beautiful brisket!

Ah, brisket weight = cat weight. Good sign for you![/QUOTE]

You should've seen the crazy look in his eyes as he sat at my feet watching me prep the flat. Now he's following me and deguerre everywhere we go, meowing loudly...he's so silly! He is the only cat we have that appreciates smoked meat, he doesn't see bacon as food though.:confused:

Brisket with homemade "Texas Style" BBQ Sauce and Beans with bacon, rib tips and jalapeño peppers. Oh and a side of corn bread with some lovely cane syrup. I appreciate the Brethren and all things Brisket.

Attachments

• IMG_8786.jpg
    IMG_8786.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_8793.jpg
    IMG_8793.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8803.jpg
    IMG_8803.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8807.jpg
    IMG_8807.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_8813.jpg
    IMG_8813.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_8820.jpg
    IMG_8820.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8823.jpg
    IMG_8823.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 159
We have just enough left over to make chili. I'm going to follow the recipe in my "BBQ Makes Everything Better" cookbook. I'll try to post some pictures later if I haven't driven my wife totally crazy with brisket appreciation :-D.

Back