Chimney on UDS -- needed?

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My UDS drum lid didn't have the 2" threaded bung hole that many lids have, so I just drilled three closely-spaced 1" holes for my exhaust (I later realized that you actually need FOUR 1" holes to get the same area as a 2" hole, but I was lucky to remember what pi was in the first place...:redface:)

My question is whether the addition of a short chimney has any real effect on the ability of your exhaust vent to draw off the exhaust. I've heard about "draw" and some seem to discuss a sort of "chimney effect," but is that real? Is there any reason to think that a 2" hole will vent any differently than a 2" hole with a 6" chimney pipe?

I'm no scientist but would appreciate an explanation from someone who is (or at least does a good job of impersonating one), or from those who simply know the answer from personal experience using their cooker.

Quite a few of the first UDSs had eight or so evenly spaced holes around the edge of the lid for exhaust - no stack or chimney needed.

I have a lid with the 2" hole and no chimney. It works fine in decent weather. I've found though that in windy weather that if I put my charcoal chimney over the hole upside down, it maintains a steady temp better. I first did the upside down charcoal chimney thing with a paver over the top for rainy day cooks. Keeps rain from getting into my cooker, but lets it exhaust. Long story short...I'm going to add a chimney to mine. Just need to find a way to make it so rain won't get into it, or I might as well just keep doing what I've done in the past.

I have a lid with the 2" hole and no chimney. It works fine in decent weather. I've found though that in windy weather that if I put my charcoal chimney over the hole upside down, it maintains a steady temp better. I first did the upside down charcoal chimney thing with a paver over the top for rainy day cooks. Keeps rain from getting into my cooker, but lets it exhaust. Long story short...I'm going to add a chimney to mine. Just need to find a way to make it so rain won't get into it, or I might as well just keep doing what I've done in the past.

Get a rain hood like for a water heater exhaust pipe...

I put a 2 in short nipple and a exhaust tip for a car with the exit hole on the side.

Attachments

• UDS044.jpg
    UDS044.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 336
Exhaust pipes have advantages. They personalize your cooker, look cool, and many deigns can be adjusted to keep wind and rain out.

My SSUDS had a 2" (pipe) bung hole, which is actually 2-3/8". It tended to run hot, especially on windy days, so I added a 9" chimney, which did the trick. I discovered one rainy day that I needed a rain cap as well. Add to that a solid cap to snuff the fire quickly when the cookin's done.

IMG_0252.jpg

You would benefit from a chimney where I live. It's often windy here. In fact, I was planning to smoke today on the OTG, but there is a steady wind of 15 MPH, gusting into the mid 20s. It blows right down the top vent, messing up my temperatures.

CD

Always raining over here so a flat lid wasn't even considered. I have three I can screw in. all stainless- 14"X2",a 45*,and a 6"X2" with a cap.

Back