SmACk TaWK **Judge my Chicken on Appearance**

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
PNWBA has a 10 point scoring system for 2010.
If anyone would care to comment on the Appearance of my ungarnished practice box, I'd appreciate any feedback.

IMG_1527.jpg

I took a bite of the thigh @ 9 minutes after I closed the box.

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

Let me know what you think, its little things I don't notice that are obvious to most that I need to hear.

I do garnish for turn in and these were for dinner.

Looks good Brian. With garnish I'd score them a 9 unless I was in a really pissy mood.

The pieces on the left are a little blotchy. The bone in the front left piece is curved...move it to the back of the box. The middle piece on the right side really stands out because both ends are rounded. The top right and left pieces have a visible skin line. And the right end of the middle left piece could be trimmed better.

But all that critique is really nitpicking. Throw a green frame around it and I'd be happy to turn it in any day.

What Paul said, plus one personal opinion: They look a little too light. A deeper, verging on mahogany, color would present better I think. Especially if you garnish.

Remember, you asked for an honest opinion so don't take this the wrong way.

The box, as is, feels like a 7 to me. When I read the title, I tried to prepare myself as if I was looking at it like I would at a contest. When I saw the top pic, it looked ok, but not great. It just didn't make me want to jump in and grab a piece. My $0.02.

I used the 2-9 KCBS scoring system. Didn't catch the 10 point system until later review.

Not a fan of garnish here . Looks good. I would say 9. Looks like it tasted good you went back for a second bite.:cool:

I'm with Paul on the blotchy thing...(gotta watch them meathooks of yours)...other than that...hittable! :cool:

What I saw was uniformity in size of the pieces. That's what I think I tend to favor. I only noticed the botches when they were pointed out to me. I'd have to say I agree - but I didn't catch them in the first 10 seconds that I gave myself to look at the box. I know that I'm not supposed to do this - but I start with a 9 and I have to have a good reason to go down. I scored them an 8 based only on color. To me, given the amount of time I allotted myself, I found no reason do lower the score significantly (sorry for using KCBS scoring - that's what I'm comfortable with).

the wife and i are talking.
for the most part they are uniform in shape and color
picturing garnish in there with it - we both give it a 9 out of 10
middle left thigh ruins itfor us

With either some garnish or box cleanup I'd give you a 9.

I disagree with the poster who said your chix was too light - my personal preference is to lighter color on chicken. Mahogany is for ribs.

I think the absence of garnish more than underscores the need to pack the box full of meat. My advice would be to shingle them and add a fourth row of thighs. This would make the box brim with meat and avoid the nagging white gaps.

Just my $0.02,
John

I'd probably give it an 8. They look very good, but some looked a little more sauced than others and I like to see them all the same. Of course, it's hard to tell from a picture and it just may be from the lighting.

A little lighter than I like them plus I am not a fan of turning in that direction in the box. But I would probably give it an 8. Nice uniformity in size. Couple of the pieces on the left, I might trim a few of the little "tags".

I appreciate all the feedback, it's what I need to hear! Keep 'em coming!

For the record, I do garnish (parsley) my turn-ins and I was using the box for timing how long the bite through skin would last.

Well they loook a little light to me coloring could be darker but thats just me. I dont do garnish I myself would shingle them and fill the box up , nothing impresses more than a full turn in box , after all I am not a artist I do BBQ. Looking at the bite part from what I can tell , they look cooked thru , I just personally dont like garnish , for the time it takes to pick the right leaves , I would rather spend on making a good full box and box cleanup. Just my opinion. Without taseting it I would give you a high score , for sure. As I understand KCBS system a nine sounds about right.

One thing to keep in mind - lack of garnish dramatically reduces the humidity inside the box, which may affect your skin test. If you use garnish in comps, you'll have to test again with the greens to have an accurate result.

Back