Thanks for doing this Chris. I hope we get lots of entrants and have some fun.

But, after thinking this through a little more, I realized that it is going to be even more demoralizing getting beat by a TD Virgin. :shock:

Nah.... this is gonna be great.. I'm making 5 new applications and avatars for this one!

Kidding!

I'm trying to talk Master into opening an account, but he says he's too busy in the laboratory. Ninja Squirrel is all set though. He says he's got a killer recipe involving peanut butter and birdseed. ... and I think I know who emptied the bird feeder out back now. :mad2:

You have entered in 9 different Throwdowns:

Chicken (2009)
Sausage (2009)
Hot and Spicy (2009)
Vegetables
Memorial Day
With a Bone
Tacos
Pulled
This is Who I Am
Wow, I thought it was more like 4

Thanks for doing this Chris. I hope we get lots of entrants and have some fun.

But, after thinking this through a little more, I realized that it is going to be even more demoralizing getting beat by a TD Virgin. :shock:
You get used to it, might as well get it out of the way right off the bat. I got beat by ECode and she was new. Although, I hear she has a sous chef working with her with vast experience in Throwdowns.

I have been a forum member for almost a year and I really enjoy the Throwdowns . I am glad that Chris organized this 'Special' throwdown for two reasons. One, more people entering throwdowns is always a good thing. Second, it helps remind us that the Brethren in general and the Throwdowns in particular are fun (see Chris' post on that topic).

I have entered a number of throwdowns to this point and I have had some success and some failure (no zeros yet but just barely :icon_blush:). At the risk of sounding like a know it all, I would like to offer the candidates for the new guy throwdown my perspective of what works for me.

1. Don't try to guess what people will like. Cook something you think is tasty, cool, interesting or has a story.

2. Plan well but don't overthink. Simple and well executed will get a more favorable response than muddled and hastily assembled.

3. Think about what you want photos of before you start. Use photos to show your prep work, cooking steps, cool features of your smoker, etc. It's part of the story.

4. The internet has a million gillion pictures of food that is plated well. If you don't know how best to photograph your dish, try Google Images and search for your main ingredient. Use the photos as inspiration for your own idea.

5. Do the best with what you have. Photos are important but good food with a good story can surmount a crappy photo. That said, blurry photos can turn a great dish into a 'sloppy joe' in nothing flat.

In an open throwdown, we ought to see some real interesting stuff. Regional dishes, personal favorites, a big thick steak or two I'll bet, some (maybe lots of) Bacon. This will be a great throwdown. Now, go out there and COOK!

PS: One more piece of advice.....don't use eggplant. That's the major leagues. You're not ready yet. Leave that to my friend Gore.

I do have to second the whole 'focus' thing. It is harder than you might think, especially with autofocus and smoke or steam. Stupid camera will focus on air when you least expect it.

Okay, where is the new blood lining up to enter??

I'm picturing a lot more basic dishes for this contest. I'm expecting my entry to be either a rack of ribs or pulled pork. Straight forward. The open is nice. Cook you're best / favorite dish.

And I'm not photo expert, but I take a lot of photos for work. The biggest thing I've learned is to use MACRO mode for close-ups. Most cameras have it, and it really really helps for the close ups.

THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY

This is a shot from my FIRST Throwdown... as you can see it's nothin' special, but I got some lovely comments.... So don't be Chicken.... lets see it!

Bolar_74.jpg

Look at the crappy table cloth and those bits of gravy on the rim of the plate.... No-one cares... so lets have some phun!

Cheers!

Bill

You get used to it, might as well get it out of the way right off the bat. I got beat by ECode and she was new. Although, I hear she has a sous chef working with her with vast experience in Throwdowns.

I think you mean despite having that sous chef. :icon_blush:

I would suggest that everyone take High Q's advice, especially points 1 - 5, those are the best. :rolleyes: The other thing to remember is NOT to take these seriously, and for once I am serious about this. You can turn in a GREAT entry and only get 1 or 2 or no votes. And I'm convinced that same entry could have won if the wind was blowing from a slightly different direction. I typically agonize in voting and more often than not my finalists have the fewest votes of the lot! People have different tastes and you can't please everyone. I take the attitude that even if 1 or 2 people think I've done a good enough job to vote for it, then that's pretty darn good. I've seen REALLY good entries, many in my top two, that have gotten no votes at all. But now, that's an honor in itself.

Back