Insulated firebox on offset stick burners?

KingRanch450

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
While watching the season finale of Pitmasters last night, I started wondering if there are any of the popular offset stick burners that have insulated firebox's other than Jambo.

Pitmaker Magnum Sniper offset has an insulated firebox. You can upgrade the Pitmaker Long Rifle to an insulated firebox.

Is an insulated firebox really that much more efficient than uninsulated? I admit I can be a bit simple minded at times, but I just can't imagine it makes a considerable difference.
I can understand an insulated cooking chamber where you are trying to reach and maintain temps.
To me, it seems the heat is leaving the firebox at a rate determined by the dampers and would only be marginally effected by outside temps.

Does make a difference in Rainy or cold weather.. also cooks more efficiently than a Regular FB offset..

Is an insulated firebox really that much more efficient than uninsulated? I admit I can be a bit simple minded at times, but I just can't imagine it makes a considerable difference.
I can understand an insulated cooking chamber where you are trying to reach and maintain temps.
To me, it seems the heat is leaving the firebox at a rate determined by the dampers and would only be marginally effected by outside temps.

Yes, it makes a difference. The k-value (measure of thermal conductivity) of mineral wool is 0.04 W/(m.K) and the k-value of steel is 43 W/(m.K).

Going from a 1/4" to a 1/2" firebox provides a negligible insulation difference.

In an offset you lose a lot of your heat through the top of the box since heat rises. If it's insulated the heat will need to route through the chimney. This equates to a smaller fire and less fuel.

Coming from a COS I noticed a huge difference in the efficiency of my fire when I made the jump to an insulated firebox. That being said, a lot of it probably had to do with the number of leaks as well but just watching my old one you could literally see the heat coming off of the firebox rather than going into the chamber. That is not the case with an insulated firebox, especially in less than great weather.

Our Peoria Cookers "Meat Monster" has an insulated firebox. (actually, the whole thing is insulated) A little fuel goes a long way!

IMGP6134.JPG

IMGP6135.JPG

I have an insulated vertical only offset on order being made by Lonestar...

I went with the insulated firebox ... (2) 1/4" plates w/ insulation in the middle.

You lose the ability to have a grill top firebox though...

Attachments

• insulation.jpg
    insulation.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 337
Huge difference! Your temp/air & draft control becomes much more predictable and fuel consumption goes way down. Wish I had and some day probably will insipulate my firebox.

yep...my next will be a Meadow Creek reverse flow....likely the 120. :) with insulated firebox for sure.

The smokers I built have had insulated boxes. I borrowed a cooker for a comp after I sold mine and the box wasn't insulated. I vowed at that time to NEVER own another cooker without an insulated box. I was used to mine and we fought that think all day and night. I built another rig and the temp control on it is almost like a uds, just add a split once an hour and it doesn't move. I'm fixing to build a backyard model with an insulated box an am curious how little wood it will use.

What do you use for insulation? Building another stick burner and want to insulate the fire box.

I get it from ats acoustics. Mineral wool board is what it's called. They also have the. Era if but it's like 3 times the price.

Well I certainly value the opinion of the Brethren, plus it makes more sense based on some of the responses.
My next build will have an insulated firebox!

Back