• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

120 Gallon Tank Build (lots of pics)

Got quite a bit accomplished today, think I will have the fabrication done with another work day or two at the most!

Started off by building the top rack.
picture.php

Added the handles on the racks.
picture.php

Added a shelf underneath the cooking chamber. Other than maybe throwing some wood on it, I doubt that I will use it to often, but it is more for bracing the legs than anything else.
picture.php

Next I used a hole saw to cut my air intake holes. There are 2 more holes on the left side.
picture.php

The firebox door marked out. Also there is a small 1/4" hole directly above each 3" hole, this is where I will attach the spinning plates that I will use to control the air flow.
picture.php

Firebox door hinged and cutout.
picture.php

Thanks to TTNuge for stopping by today to take a look! I can't wait until you get your metal so we can see another build in progress. Let me know when you are ready to give the MIG welder a try, I've got plenty of scrap that we can practice on!

Not to much left to do:
Firebox Door Edging
Firebox Door Handle/Latch
Firebox Wood/Coal Grate
Shelf

Great matalwork!

One question... will you be using drip pans on the baffle or is there a drip drain i haven't seen yet?

Thanks for taking time to chat and shoot the bull, doesn't look like I got you too far behind. I have to tell you, this smoker is even more impressive in person, it's hard to get a handle on how deep that tank is, that bottom shelf is going to hold some serious meat.

That has come together very nicely. I am glad you ended up getting that tank, as the size of it looks perfect.

You're moving very fast with this build, speers! Just about blinked and you're practically done! Very impressive!! :thumb:

That has come together very nicely. I am glad you ended up getting that tank, as the size of it looks perfect.

Although I initially had my doubts, I couldn't be any happier with the size. TTNuge and I were discussing the size today while he was over. We came to the conclusion that we should be able to get 20 - 25 8lb pork butts in there.

It is turning out to be just the right size, big enough to handle all the cooking I should ever need, but just the right size for my concrete patio!

Lookin really nice. I need to practice with my mig some more before I attempt a build. Thanks for posting this.

I was wondering if anyone has ever added a pipe to mist water on the diverter plate? A full length pipe with small holes drilled towards the plate. KC

I was wondering if anyone has ever added a pipe to mist water on the diverter plate? A full length pipe with small holes drilled towards the plate. KC

I have never seen one, but it is an interesting idea. I know when you have several butts or briskets cooking you will get quite a bit of moisture from the fat dripping on the diverter plate and then steaming up.

Spending the day with my boys, so this is all I am planning on doing today.

Got the air intake plates marked out, this is one of the six.
picture.php

Getting it done! I like it man. I like it alot. keep it coming. I can't wait to get back on mine once school starts back after the first. Everything is at the school shop and I just can't bring myself to go to "work" over the holidays for free. :)

Snuck in a couple hours of work on the cooker today. Didn't get as much accomplished as I would have liked, but I did get the firebox door edging welded on and got all 6 of my air intake spinners attached and functioning.

Forgot to get a pic of the firebox edging, can do that another day.

Two of the air intake spinning plates are installed and working.
picture.php

Here is close up shot of the spring loaded contraption I came up with to hold the plate open. First you have the bolt that goes through the holes in the firebox and the plate, then you have a flat washer, a spring, a nut, a lock washer, and another nut. This was just to show what it looked like, I actually tightened the spring almost all the way down to get the plate to stay open.
picture.php

Hey, I meant to post in your other thread as an after thought, have you thought about hi temp painting the tank body since it will never get hot enough to burn it off, and then for the firebox heat it up with a weed burner or rose bud torch until dark blue and then apply either pam spray or lard to season it and keep it from rusting?

I did this with my SJ UDS barrel and 2 years later it barely has any spots that are rusting... If you do it hot enough it won't be sticky at all, just like a CI skillet. If it doesn't work you can always reheat it with the torch to burn it off and then paint it...

Hey, I meant to post in your other thread as an after thought, have you thought about hi temp painting the tank body since it will never get hot enough to burn it off, and then for the firebox heat it up with a weed burner or rose bud torch until dark blue and then apply either pam spray or lard to season it and keep it from rusting?

I did this with my SJ UDS barrel and 2 years later it barely has any spots that are rusting... If you do it hot enough it won't be sticky at all, just like a CI skillet. If it doesn't work you can always reheat it with the torch to burn it off and then paint it...

I think I have decided that I am going to go with some 1200 degree hi-temp paint. I will take it somewhere to have in sandblasted and then bring it to my garage and paint it. Then I will give it a good oiling and fire it up, I will keep oiling the firebox each time I cook.

If that doesn't seem to work, then I may give the old CI skillet treatment a try.

Finally got another day to work on the cooker and was able to finish up the fabrication. Tomorrow I will be giving it a test fire, I will re-calibrate all my thermometers tonight so I can get some accurate readings on what the temp levels are like during my test fire tomorrow. I have a pit thermometer coming that should be here in the next couple days.

Started off by adding a handle/latch to the firebox door.
picture.php

A removable wood/coal basket for the firebox.
picture.php

Added a shelf on the end and fabrication is complete!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Back