Not BBQ But Dang Good

aawa

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So every year my 3 of my friends that have birthdays within a week of each other have a joint birthday party and they have a themed cooking contest. This years theme was Iron Chef: Sausage This was my entry.
10007519_10152131554341647_1505455780316424873_n.jpg

1977477_10152321595881223_6321165855608431025_n.jpg

Sausage and mushroom stuffing muffins w/ a poached egg.

1 Batch makes 24 muffins.
2 lbs of jimmy dean's sage
1/2 bundle of fresh sage
1/2 bundle of fresh thyme
2 portabella caps diced
1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms diced
1/2 lb white button mushrooms diced
1 loaf rye bread
1 medium onion
4 stalks of celery diced

Brown sausage into bits and remove from pan. Sautee onions and celery in the sausage fat. Add in diced mushrooms until browned, add in sage and thyme and mix in with sausage. The tear up the rye bread into bits and mix in with the sausage mixture. Add chicken stock till it has a consistency where you can form muffins in the muffin pan.

I poached the eggs in their shell with a technique called Onsen Eggs. You keep water at a stable 145 degree temperature. Place the eggs in the water for 45mins - 1 hour. They will be a perfectly poached egg once you crack the shell. You can store them in the fridge and to warm them up, just put hot water in a bowl and place the egg in it for 5-10mins and bam, perfectly poached egg.

:hungry: That looks good. Especially about 5:30 am tomorrow.

looks dang tasty, aawa!

Awesome.

But I can have eggs. Damn it.

Love it.
we sous vide eggs same as that, that sausage looks brilliant

Oh, that would work right about now. :clap2:

Dang that looks real good, minus the runny egg :hungry:

Looks great, so good I hope you post a few more pics of the sausage!

Who won? I like it a lot, especially with the egg!
I came in 2nd. The first place was a chorizo stuffed jalapeno popper. It was good stuff. I think I came in second because 1 of the judges didn't like mushrooms, the other judge didnt like poached eggs. With the stacked deck, I was still able to beat 5 other people :D

Love it.
we sous vide eggs same as that, that sausage looks brilliant
I really dig the onsen eggs. I knew there was a technique where I could do that, and it took a couple trial batches to get right. I didn't want to sit at the party for hours poaching eggs.

Looks great, so good I hope you post a few more pics of the sausage!
Unfortunately those were the only 2 pictures that I got. I was rushed as it was a busy day.

Thanks for the kind words all. It was fun to make and I learned several new techniques to make this dish.

That looks great! You still win first place on the brethren. And we're much tougher judges :thumb:

That looks great! You still win first place on the brethren. And we're much tougher judges :thumb:

Everybody at the party loved the stuffing muffins but they were very intrigued by the Onsen Eggs.

They saw a big bowl of what they thought were hard boiled eggs sitting next to the muffins. People were wondering what it was for, and I had to show a few people and they raved about the perfectly poached eggs and they talked it up quite a bit where I didn't have to show anybody, whomever was standing close to the food table would tell people, the eggs are poached already you just have to crack them over the stuffing muffin. I had about 10 people ask me how I made the eggs so they could try making it at home for themselves.

Back