details and prep

maxwell7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
:confused:I've wanted to make this post for some time , and mod's , if this is the wrong place , pls. advise. I love to grill and smoke. Nothing is more relaxing to me than a nice day of sunshine , a cold brew , and watching the smoke curl up from my grill. BUT--and here's my point! I love PREP. Am i the only one who enjoys slicing , dicing , and cutting , utilizing FINE cutlery? I have recently begun compiling a collection of Viking knives. They are beautifully made and sharp> I have Hinkles(Sp.) and chic. cutlery, and most recently a knife named after Joyce Chen. It looks like a cleaver , but they point out that it is a knife , NOT a cleaver. Simple , but sharp!I love knives and collect hunting knives as well. I love using them in food prep. Anyone else?:biggrin1: Just curious , and thanks Doug

I'm with you on high end knives, I have a good collection of shun, a zwilling kramer, and a bunch of henkels and prep knives.

I love doing most of the prep work the day before a big cook, more because on the day of the cook, I enjoy having everything laid out and ready for a nice easy day of cooking/drinking beer.

I find it not so fun, when I wake up a hour after I meant to, then rush around to get everything together and food ready by my target time.

For knives, I just by the plastic handled chef/boning knives from Sam's Club. When they get bad, I throw them away and buy another pair for $12.

I would love to invest in a good set of knives, but I'll have to wait until the kids grow up to justify spending the $$$.

"Me Too" on the pleasure and value of good prep work!
I have 3 Shuns now and really enjoy using them.

The whole process of "Mise en place" (I hate fancy terms, but that one works :oops:) was a revelation to me several years ago when I saw Chef Ann Burrell explain and use it on TV.

My cooking has improved dramatically since I started getting organized ahead of time and doing as much prep as I could BEFORE the meat or food hit the fire!

And, the actual cooking is a lot more relaxing and fun now. :-D

TIM

Back