• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pepper Stout Beef - if you haven't tried it yet, you need to

I may have to give this a shot. I do something similar with pork butt and gumbo that is killer!

I have made this twice in the last few weeks. The second time I added some beef broth for additional liquid and sliced mushrooms. Mushrooms really kicked it up a notch!

Just took a chuck outta the freezer cause I'm so trying this tomorrow. Thanks for the post

Greetings,

I am super-excited about this! I am planning to do my first (a four-pounder) tomorrow. Can I substitute a dutch oven for the foil pan?

Thanks,
Little Dick

Sure! Use anything that has a lid. One thing you cannot substitute is the stout beer. Others have tried it with lighter colored beers and there was no flavor to be had. It has to be a stout. They could even tell the difference between the regular draught and the stout.

Well did mine today. Grilled then braised in beer,V-8, Worcestershire,beef broth onion,red bells and jalapeno peppers and oh my lord like said before if you haven't tried this you have to.
BEEF002.jpg

BEEF003.jpg

BEEF004.jpg

I had meant to mention this but if you want to kick up the heat a notch, get a can of chipotles in adobo. I put it all in a food processor then add the slurry to the mix as well.

1st time I did it I used Pibs soda as I can not find stout around my parts and it was prob the best chucky I've had.

Made my first yesterday. I think I needed to let it go longer in the foil pan (7 hours total (3 in the foil pan) for a 4.28-pounder). It did not pull easily. But I had a hungry crowd and couldn't wait anymore.

I left the butcher's string on it too. Would that affect it?

Little Dick

Made my first yesterday. I think I needed to let it go longer in the foil pan (7 hours total (3 in the foil pan) for a 4.28-pounder). It did not pull easily. But I had a hungry crowd and couldn't wait anymore.

Little Dick
If you look in the photos above, jmoney7269 cut his in chunks before covering it. I think I might try this next time, as when I made it, mine did not pull totally either.

Little Dick

Make sure you crank up the heat a bit after you foil. I did two five pounders last week and three hours at 325 was plenty for the chuckle to be pull tender.

Back