View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #98
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

This question came at me from my good friend Zilla. I thought my response should be in here for all to share.

"So how did you enjoy your first semester teaching?"

Great. I love the Special Ed kids... they love my pig candy too.

"Just reread the Jetton thread, love it. Another question for you. In a different thread you suggested that everyone try your mothers baked brisket recipe at least once for process sake I beleive. As I recall the meat was seasoned with S&P and laid meat side down on an aluminum sheet and held in the fridge overnight then baked. What do you think the mechanics of the process are? Does the aluminum play a part (salt, water, metal, electrolysis, ionization, micro brining and capillary action drawing the flavor up)? I figured the meat sitting in the salt seasoning created a micro brine environment between the meat and the flat tray keeping the meat in constant contact with salt solution and capillary action did the rest. I figured if the meat side were facing up all the moisture would run off to the fat cap and would kill the process. I did this with my comp ribs and brisket two weeks ago when I forgot my stuff in the fridge at home and had great results. I used foil though. I had a discussion with a friend at a Christmas party last weekend about it, I just wanted your thoughts on this.
Thanks Donnie and Merry Christmas!"

The purpose of this thread was to create idea conditions for a tender brisket so everyone would understand "the feel." We can share numberical equivalents on the net, IT, time cooked, rub ratios, but "feel" is something you have to experience.

With this experience we set aside BBQ and smoking all together and gradually remove any components (rub, injections ect.) so that only two factors contribute to the experiement. I chose salt/pepper so people kept it simple. This was not a BBQ experiement but a "Meat Cut" experiement.

This excercise is to place in the novices' mind, and the mind of someone who only reached for a brisket only to BBQ it THUS they may had never been exposed to its full tenderness. In addition... should you think it too tender, you have a zone you can pull back from... which is easier than the other way.... gradually increasing the cook until you get the tenderness you want... which only means $$$$$.

Fat position generally serves two purposes.... one is to protect the meat... the other to more gently provide cooking heat and moisture to the flat. For instance, long ago when the first calrod came out on electric stoves... they used to give you a diffuser. This kept the bottom of your stew pot for instance from burning your food. The fat cap is kind of the same thing. It also.. when you consider the meat dynamics... HOLDS in moisture like a BOWL... more effiecently that it could ever baste the meat.
BUT this is in MOST smokers.

In essense... once you have make the Night Train Brisket... as far as tendeness and juiciness... you have the example in your mind of where your brisket should be... yet you will be using LESS than ideal circumstances.