View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Knife Sharpening

I have friends who have bought the new system sharpeners, all sorts of brands and designs.
I don't have any friends with sharper knives than mine.
That is why I still maintain the outback attitude I grew up with, enforced at every turn and in all honesty, born of neccesity I guess.
There were few shops and when things break or go wrong you are better off being as skilled as you can be.
That's why I live in the city now.

So, here it is.
The new Japanese developed grit stones are amazing.

I was five when I learned to use a stone, and it was my job.
I would sit in a bunch of adults and they would pass me their knives and take a break while I worked it and put a good edge back on.
Everyone had a job back then.
Well, these new stones are just incredible in comparison, and if I were to tell you what I really believe is the best thing you could choose, it would be to buy one and watch some youtube tutorials or online vids by experts and practice on some inexpensive knives.
If a five year old can learn this skill, then I reckon you can...even if you are American (Hah, gottcha...you KNEW I was gunna, somewhere :laugh)
I bought a JCK stone from these guys
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Wh...esForSale.html
delivery within the week.
It is faster and a universal skill, and the sharpness cannot be beaten.
You no longer have to depend on your system all working and breakages or wrong adjustments, order new parts and fart around....you put the stone on the table and wet it and in 5 minutes you have a gleaming razor sharp edge.
Wash the stone and you are done.
Now, if you are out bush or somewhere and you have no sharpener you can , with a little ingenuity, use your skill with some other hard surface and still improve an edge!!
Plus, womenfolk think it is way manly!

Thanks from: --->