Will do guys, we are not far from pulling now.

Awah man I did those yesterday minus the bone and the dark meat.lol. I have a extra section or two of that plate left and I think it's time to build one of those babys! :cool:

Here we are catching the drippings early on..

2ujmp07.jpg

Had to pull one section early and
cut into it. Here, have a taste..

3088h9h.jpg

Yup just a block of wood, I left the holder in the storage container and couldn't be asked to unpack it.

MB Looking at it all I honestly don't know yet. Once I cut it up for dinner shortly I'll look and see how even things are. My best guess is that it kept the fule alight longer as it didn't get soaked with drippings ( I get temp drops when pulling a full load) so she ran very steady today with this five or so hour cook. As usual there is plenty of unburnt fuel in the basket but I'll open all the vents for a high temp clean.

I'll post more info and pictures a little later.

So far the just is still out on this one.

Thanks Doc, I have tried to follow your experimenting and thinking of making one to go with my 4 UDS's. I think it's pretty cool.

Fire Basket

I cut the bottom out of a empty coffee can & set down in the middle of my fire basket & put charcoal around the coffee can, I then light about a half chimney of coals. When they get ready ,I pour the lit coals in the coffee can & lift the coffee can out & then set the basket inside my drum. I have been thinking about getting a piece of stovepipe & that way I can pour the lit coals in with the basket already in the UDS & just pull the stovepipe out. I think this would be easier & safer.

jed

I cut the bottom out of a empty coffee can & set down in the middle of my fire basket & put charcoal around the coffee can, I then light about a half chimney of coals. When they get ready ,I pour the lit coals in the coffee can & lift the coffee can out & then set the basket inside my drum. I have been thinking about getting a piece of stovepipe & that way I can pour the lit coals in with the basket already in the UDS & just pull the stovepipe out. I think this would be easier & safer.

jed
I try to make a well in the middle to get instant air to the coals.Seems it doesn't make a difference.
Just dump the hot coals on top of the charcoal, you'll be fine.

Two words.... WEED BURNER.

No transporting hot coals, No reaching down in drum dumping coals and losing facial hair.

Back