• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wondering about heat loss

like I said way earlier in the post things were undersized intakes firebox and piping. I always wondered how they sold those for the price they do now I understand fully. One question how thick is the material on tha cooker is the firebox out of 1/4 inch sure don't look like it. I build em everyday and am not being critical I hope you get it worked out!!!! If that cooker is only designed to run 200 degrees..... That is truly sad !!!!! Every firebox we build is around 110% of what it should be by calculations.... It's not because it needs that much fire it is about 02 and flow a well managed smaller fire with a good coal bed is better no need to over fire and wear the firebox out needlessly in my opinion. I had to learn this and now I call it the gospel

Last edited:
I just got home from the welder. This is a big pipe! I may do a test burn tonight if I have time. For now, here are some pics I took at the welders:

About 21" above the cook chamber

The inside of the chamber

I left the other (3" pipe) exhaust on for now. I may have them cut it off (or even with the grill) in the future. It looks a little silly.

Looks good & I'm thinkin this will fix the problem. Get yourself a #10 tin can to keep the rain & kritters out.
:clap2:
I just got home from the welder. This is a big pipe! I may do a test burn tonight if I have time. For now, here are some pics I took at the welders:

About 21" above the cook chamber

The inside of the chamber

I left the other (3" pipe) exhaust on for now. I may have them cut it off (or even with the grill) in the future. It looks a little silly.

Looks good & I'm thinkin this will fix the problem. Get yourself a #10 tin can to keep the rain & kritters out.
:clap2:

Thanks. I hope this works! The welder cut a piece of scrap plate for a baffle (or whatever you call it). He welded a bolt to the exhaust and put the plate on there to cover the top.

Thanks. I hope this works! The welder cut a piece of scrap plate for a baffle (or whatever you call it). He welded a bolt to the exhaust and put the plate on there to cover the top.

Even with a damper it's still better to cover the stack with a can or bucket.

I'm going to have two holes drilled for probe access next week when I have new exhaust added. Drawing upon everyone's experience, is there a preferred location?

I'm going to have two holes drilled for probe access next week when I have new exhaust added. Drawing upon everyone's experience, is there a preferred location?

That sounds like a good idea. I'd go right under the door.

Glad to see the issues being worked out. I ordered a Horizon pit..hope it's good to go and I dont have to go through this.

I just ordered door seal and plan on droping the grate in the fire box to 3". I'm looking into getting a bbq guru for the back side of the fire box instead of installing another damper. Does anyone have experience with a guru? And do you think this will help with the air flow problem? Any and all advice is welcome :) Thanks!!

Glad to see the issues being worked out. I ordered a Horizon pit..hope it's good to go and I dont have to go through this.

I've heard good things about Horizon pits. Hope you enjoy it!

I just ordered door seal and plan on droping the grate in the fire box to 3". I'm looking into getting a bbq guru for the back side of the fire box instead of installing another damper. Does anyone have experience with a guru? And do you think this will help with the air flow problem? Any and all advice is welcome :) Thanks!!

I'm adding some seal to my door today. Regardless of the Guru or not, I think you're going to have to get a larger exhaust.

That sounds like a good idea. I'd go right under the door.

Unless your damper actually covers the stack like a cap with sides coming down over the stack (or you cover the entire cooker with a water proof cover) you will still get some water down the stack.

Added a 6" exhaust today and couldn't wait to get it home and fire her up. Works like a charm! no problem getting up past 300 and all of a sudden I don't have the heat and smoke bellowing from the door. THANKS FOR THE HELP!

NEXT QUESTION: Instead of throwing away the 3" stack I added it to my warming box. As of right now the warming box receives indirect heat from being on top of the fire box. If I want to turn the warming box into a vertical smoker for smaller cooks what ideas do you guys have have for an opening between the two?

Looks great guys!! I'm excited to get my pit up to them to have them fix it now.

@boiler93; I was thinking that the larger exhaust would help fix all the smoke leaking because now the smoke has a logical place to go, and I am glad to hear that it is working as it should.

I'll make sure to post pics as well when we get ours fixed up.

Added a 6" exhaust today and couldn't wait to get it home and fire her up. Works like a charm! no problem getting up past 300 and all of a sudden I don't have the heat and smoke bellowing from the door. THANKS FOR THE HELP!

NEXT QUESTION: Instead of throwing away the 3" stack I added it to my warming box. As of right now the warming box receives indirect heat from being on top of the fire box. If I want to turn the warming box into a vertical smoker for smaller cooks what ideas do you guys have have for an opening between the two?

Glad it's working! I plan to cook this weekend when I get home from travel.

Back