Red SS Performer - $20 CL score - Restoration FINISHED! [with pron]

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Finally finished restoring the Performer I found on Cl some time ago. It's not completely red, hence the name " ladybug".

Links to my other threads about this project:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101638
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101857
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102233

I added the Touch-N-Go propane assist (this Performer was originally the non-TNG type). Weber sent me the TNG hardware gratis. I also added a probe grommet mod which was demonstrated by a member of the TVWB forum (cost ~$5!). Had to fab a new ash catcher bar since the old one was rusted and broke.

First cook was a pair of veal chops from Costco (pre-marinated in wine and rosemary - they were deelish!! I love how self-contained the Performer is - propane lighter, charcoal, bbq tools all on board with a sweet SS work surface. First cook was a success - had not done veal chops ever. Indirect heat until they hit 120, then direct heat until internal temp was 135ish. They definitely did not suck.

[My apologies... I still don't know how to add captions for pics]

Attachments

• ladybug2.jpg
    ladybug2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 506
  • ladybug.jpg
    ladybug.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 496
  • finished performer.jpg
    finished performer.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 502
  • assembled one touch.jpg
    assembled one touch.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 501
  • burner.jpg
    burner.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 499
  • TNG.jpg
    TNG.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 499
  • reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 498
  • lamp parts for probe grommet mod.jpg
    lamp parts for probe grommet mod.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 501
  • probe grommet 1.jpg
    probe grommet 1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 500
  • probe grommet 2.jpg
    probe grommet 2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 499
Beautiful.... Brings a tear to my eye...
images

Thanks! My paint job on the bowl is not nearly as impressive as some of the work done by swamprb, but it'll do.

I'm thinking of adding a paper towel holder and a bottle opener- then I can just spend the whole day outside!

Wait, so Weber sent you the stuff to make it a propane assist for free? How'd you do that? I've got that exact same Weber redhead without the TNG and I was considering adding it but didn't even bother calling because I assumed it was so old they wouldn't even have the parts.

Looks great BTW.

Wait, so Weber sent you the stuff to make it a propane assist for free? How'd you do that? I've got that exact same Weber redhead without the TNG and I was considering adding it but didn't even bother calling because I assumed it was so old they wouldn't even have the parts.

Looks great BTW.

Thanks.

The TNG burner and regulator assembly are for the new performer. I had to drill the bowl and the little tool tray under the steel table. I'm not sure why they sent it to me free either, but I don't really need to know. The TNG hardware is about $70ish otherwise. Don't forget the retaining clip for the burner and regulator hose - they alsmot forgot to send it, and I nearly lost the darn thing more times than I care to mention.

Back