Offset Vertical Drum Smoker

This is by far one of the most unique smokers I have seen and I absolutely love it. As far as connecting the two drums, how did you make the holes in the drum and did you use jb weld to connect them? I do not have a welder, but if jb weld is able to connect the drums well then I might give this a try.

Thanks a lot! Yes I used JB weld. I got a 1' piece of 4" black iron pipe for free from a pipe fitter off a job site, traced around the pipe onto the drums, and cut out the holes with a jig saw. Then I slid the pipe through connecting the drums. We tried to tack weld it but the pipe was too thick and the drums were too thin, we kept burning holes in the drums.

I ended up JB welding the pipe on the inside and outside of each drum. That stuff works like a charm, I used it all over this build. I used the two part black and red tubes that you mix equal parts together. It takes 24 hours to dry and once it does, it's never coming apart. I've seen guys use it to fix cracks in engine blocks, it's rated upto like 3000 degrees I think.

This is by far one of the most unique smokers I have seen and I absolutely love it. As far as connecting the two drums, how did you make the holes in the drum and did you use jb weld to connect them? I do not have a welder, but if jb weld is able to connect the drums well then I might give this a try.

Mark, let me know if you're serious about building something similar to this, I would love to give you some pointers (so you can skip some of the trial and error that I went through). I also video taped the whole build from start to finish, as soon as I edit it all together I'll put it on YouTube and post the link.

with the intakes pointed upwards are you at all concerned with water getting in the firebox if a storm blows in during a cook?

with the intakes pointed upwards are you at all concerned with water getting in the firebox if a storm blows in during a cook?

Not really, I'm in Los Angeles.... we don't have storms. I'd be more worried about someone rear ending it with their car or beating it up at a Dodger game.

Ingenius idea!

Love it. That thing should hold a TON of Q!
Great job! :clap:

Nice build. That sucker should hold a lotta grub. Get smokin and post some cookin pics!

Me gusta mucho. And, I like it a lot. :wink: Nice build. I would love to see the video as well.

Nice build. That sucker should hold a lotta grub. Get smokin and post some cookin pics!

Thanks for the compliments! Her are some pics from my first cook (4 tri-tips and 2 whole chickens with plenty of room for more)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Great ingenuity, my first smoker was an old charcoaler and a small water tank that were kinda shoved together. Yours is more an art piece and probably pretty light weight. Nice work.

Mark, let me know if you're serious about building something similar to this, I would love to give you some pointers (so you can skip some of the trial and error that I went through). I also video taped the whole build from start to finish, as soon as I edit it all together I'll put it on YouTube and post the link.

Awesome thanks for the offer. I am looking to build a new smoker this summer. If I decide on trying to build something like this I would love your expertise. I will pm you when the time gets loser to when I have time to start planning and building

Awesome thanks for the offer. I am looking to build a new smoker this summer. If I decide on trying to build something like this I would love your expertise. I will pm you when the time gets loser to when I have time to start planning and building

Sounds great buddy. By the way, use the word "expertise" lightly, haha!! More like I can tell you everything I screwed up!

La Mirada...that build most definitely has "The Look".

Please tell me the skin on this bird tasted as good as it looked?

attachment.php

That is one gorgeous chicken.

La Mirada...that build most definitely has "The Look".

Please tell me the skin on this bird tasted as good as it looked?

attachment.php

That is one gorgeous chicken.

Thanks buddy, oh you know how good those chicks were!!! All we put on them was a little oil and salt (my wifes idea, of course I wanted to put all kinds of crap on them!) and we let the smoke do the rest. They were great!!

Great looking build. I love the idea. Maybe one day I might decide to take on a build like that.

How is the fuel consumption?

Great looking build. I love the idea. Maybe one day I might decide to take on a build like that.

How is the fuel consumption?

Well I burned a 15 pound bag of kingsford hickory charcoal in my basket using the minion method and a $20 bag of apple wood chunks that I random through in, and that lasted the 6 hours I cooked the brisket in. It was still hot when I was done, I'm sure it would have lasted a few more hours at least.

Back