"Barbacued beef" for dinner

mikeTRON

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So, I am surfing the internet looking for some inspiration for dinner and I decide to sort the recipes by order of ratings on www.ALLRECIPES.com and I stumble upon this:

"Chuck roast is slow-cooked for 8 to 10 hours with barbeque sauce ingredients, including liquid smoke. Shredded for sandwiches, it will serve a dozen. "

906 people have rated this recipe at 4.5/5 stars

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/barbecued-beef/detail.aspx

:shock:

I figured y'all might like the key word tracks here "barbaque sauce ingredients"
as well as "liquid smoke"

:-D :shock: :-D

So what's for dinner?

Actually, that's basically how most of my family makes "barbecue."

CD

To be honest, I probably liked that stuff before realizing that there is GOOD barbecue that has a texture other than stew meat :razz:

I have family in TX that makes "barbecue" by putting a Brisket in a Nesco until it falls apart and mixing it with a few bottles of open pit. Everyone thinks it the greatest thing in the culinary world.

Here in WI, they refer to sloppy joe's as "BBQ".

I have family in TX that makes "barbecue" by putting a Brisket in a Nesco until it falls apart and mixing it with a few bottles of open pit. Everyone thinks it the greatest thing in the culinary world.

Here in WI, they refer to sloppy joe's as "BBQ".

My parents like to make "hamburg barbecue," AKA sloppy Joes. :tsk:

CD

Throw it on a bun with some cole slaw and I'll eat it. But, it ain't BBQ. It's more like roast beef with BBQ sauce.

Yeah before my bbq'ing days this was a way I made a lot of pulled meat. I never called it bbq because I knew it wasn't, but there are a lot of good restaurants who sear meat then braise it in ovens and it falls apart and make great food. I've done and still do some braised italian beef ribs that are awesome. Slow cooker does throw people for a loop when the term bbq in mixed in, but it isn't far away from a very popular method called braising. Isn't bbq of course, but can be good/great.

There are alot of sauce manufacturers that proudly use liquid smoke in their products. There are also a ton of cooks who lust after those same products.

I for one have no idea why anyone would put liquid smoke in a sauce. ???

But hey, diversity is what makes the world go 'round.

people around here serve it all the time and its usually delicious.

I'm not ashamed to say that I make similar recipe a few times a year. I don't use liquid smoke though. Recipe is handed down from my old man. used to eat as kid a lot.

Dad’s BBQ shredded beef

6 lbs chuck roast cut into smaller pieces
1 stalk celery diced,
3 large onions chopped 2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tsp Tabasco
1-2 TB chili powder
1 ½ cup ketchup
2 TB salt
3 TB BBQ sauce
1 green pepper diced
1 tsp black pepper
1 ½ cup water
Vegetable oil

Sear meat in tablespoon of oil in dutch oven in batches. Sweat onions and green pepper in dutch oven. Add remaining ingredients and deglaze pan. Add meat and bring to boil on stove. Cover and bake in 300 degree oven until tender. 3 to 4 hours. Shred with fork and serve.

Back