12 Month Progress for a New Team

S

SmokeInDaEye

So I pulled out the score sheets from my first contest a year ago and the most recent one. Although there is more for me to learn, I am pretty happy with what my fellow competitors here have taught me.

I thought I'd post a comparison of the scores to start with. If anyone wants, I can also post the progression of pictures for various categories.

Hudson Valley '06 followed by New Holland '07

Chicken:
(HV) 5-6-7, 6-7-8, 6-6-6, 7-7-7, 6-7-7, 6-7-7 (136)
(NH) 9-8-9, 8-8-8, 8-8-8, 8-9-9, 8-8-8, 8-9-8 (167.4286)

rib:
(HV) 7-6-5, 7-6-7, 8-7-6, 8-7-7, 7-7-5, 6-6-7 (132.5714)
(NH) 9-7-9, 7-7-9, 6-5-7, 7-7-9, 8-7-8, 8-7-6 (149.1424)

shoulder:
(HV) 7-8-7, 9-7-7, 8-6-6, 8-7-7, 8-9-8, 7-7-7 (150.285 )
(NH) 7-8-7, 7-7-8, 8-8-8, 8-7-6, 8-5-5, 9-9-9 (149.142 )

brisket:
(HV) 7-5-5, 8-7-5, 8-7-4, 8-7-6, 7-7-5, 8-5-5 (126.2860)
(NH) 9-9-9, 8-6-7, 8-7-8, 8-7-6, 8-5-5, 9-9-9 (155.4284)

And I know my scores actually went down in pork shoulder but I haven't really focused on the pork categories yet. I figure one category per contest and grow from there.

Here's the chicken and brisket from my first contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
And from last week.

Clint,

You have done a wonderful job. You should be commended for doing this well with only a year's experience and having only a few contests under your belt. Great Job! Keep it up!

Thanks, guys. It's tough fighting to find enough people to lend a hand each contest but I was blown away to see those photos. I"ll post the pork pix as well but they still suck.

Thanks, guys. It's tough fighting to find enough people to lend a hand each contest but I was blown away to see those photos. I"ll post the pork pix as well but they still suck.

Help is overrated... they might just drop your chicken into a pile of ashes or something right before turn-ins !!! :biggrin:

Nice job Clint.. .big improvement and it also goes to show that the scoring system does work if used as designed. Not that the first contest pics were not good but your recent entries were noticeably improved from an appearance standpoint and the scoring showed it.

Here's the pork. Not as exciting but it's part of the growth process so I'll include it.

And the ribs that are still a work in progress:

Your brisket from HV last year looks medium rare.

Nice progress, the competition next year is going to be tough!

Clint, it's fun to go back and look at boxes early and more recent ones. Here's my best example... Pork from my first contest (Royal, 2005) vs. the 2nd photo which is pork three weeks ago at Dillon, CO.

Attachments

• royal-pork.jpg
    royal-pork.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 115
  • dillon-pork.jpg
    dillon-pork.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 115
Your brisket from HV last year looks medium rare.

Nice progress, the competition next year is going to be tough!

That was probably the most disgusting thing I have ever cooked. Glad you noticed. I had no temp control, no idea when things should be done, and just wanted to finish. Sliced right through the point and flat and turned it all in, fat be damned. Funny now to think about how pissed I was when I saw the scores!

Clint, it's fun to go back and look at boxes early and more recent ones. Here's my best example... Pork from my first contest (Royal, 2005) vs. the 2nd photo which is pork three weeks ago at Dillon, CO.

That second one is pretty darn impressive, Jeff. Funny how perfect they seem at that moment, huh?

Great job Clint!!!!!.The picture's speak a thousand words..... I hope we can make the same kind of improvment in our first year.:cool:

Clint,

Nice progression on your scores. I' gettin ready for my second contest and hope to show the same kind of improvement that you have.

gary

Jeff,

The Pork looks fantastic. I have only turned in pulled with bark. If you'd care to share, how'd you do the three? (I am aware of the one piece that you can seperate, and slice, never had success with it though - usually overcooked to slice). Any info is appreciated.

Jeff,

The Pork looks fantastic. I have only turned in pulled with bark. If you'd care to share, how'd you do the three? (I am aware of the one piece that you can seperate, and slice, never had success with it though - usually overcooked to slice). Any info is appreciated.

I cook 4 butts most contests, just to be sure I get what I need. One that has the smallest looking muscle that I slice into medallions, I take up to 195 or so to chop it (not pull). Then I pick one that I want to slice and cook that one to about 180 before coolering. The two with the biggest "money muscles" (Jack's Old South gave me that term) get taken to no more than 185 before coolering. I want those medallions REALLY tender but not quite fall apart tender.

I understand 100%, this is my 1st year as well. I thought I knew alot, but was blown away buy the little things other theams did. Like the pvc legs to raise the tables up for prep. Probably the biggest thing was the people. offering help and advice! Jumping Dog BBQ from New Jersey (I think) made my first comp wonderfull!!Everyone is just so great!!

Great thread Clint! We both started about the same time ago and I was noticing the same thing. Hope you don't mind me posting my first and then my last rib box. The first was Merrimac last year, came in 25. The next pic is from last week at Hogstock, came in 2nd.
Picture090.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Back