First Comp Results - Harrison, AR

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey All,

So a buddy of mine, his wife, and I jumped in and did our first competition last weekend in Harrison, AR. Wow! We had a great time and learned a lot. Our neighbors were overwhelmingly friendly and helpful. The reps were really cool. Etc, etc, etc. We had a blast.

HnH-Team-Photo.jpg

Thanks to hours and hours (and hours) of reading through the Brethren forums, we didn't jump in totally unprepared. We have A LOT to learn still, but we were very pleased with our first effort.

Chicken
989 999 989 998 988 988
Ribs
887 887 989 877 988 877
Pork
999 978 999 999 899 886
Brisket
987 888 988 888 889 978

We loved our chicken (and it's scores), but still only took 13th. There must have been some damn good chicken all around that day.

We tanked our ribs, but pretty much know what went wrong. I had a sick kid on Monday and fixed the rib problem. More than anything, they just needed more attention to detail.

We took 4th in pork, offsetting the entry fee. Huge win for us there. Getting our first walk on our first competition was a rush.

Brisket was good, but not great.

All in all, it was a great experience and we're sad we waited this long into the season to get started. Now we face the long wait until next season. Ughhh. Time for lots and lots of practice cooks.

Looking forward to more.

-Bret

Congrats to you and your team! Anytime you get a call has to feel great, but first time out must be awesome.

Thanks David. It was great and we're looking forward to more. :)

Great job for first time out.! Got a little cool, didn't it?

Congrats on your first walk.:clap2: Keep practicing and keep GOOD notes of everything you do. It will help in the long run.

Thanks all! We're definitely hooked.

We meant to go around and introduce ourselves to the Brethren teams, but as it turns out, a rookie team gets a little, um, panicky and busy. Who knew?

Cayman1, grats on the chicken!

-Bret

Thank you. Anytime you can go head to head at the same table with the no. 1 team of year candidate and no.1 in chicken and come out ahead, you have to be very satisfied.

Rest didn't do so well, but ribs and pork were my fault. Committed the cardinal sin, trying new recipes for the first time at a contest. Figured it was the last of the year for us and who better to try it on than real judges. Our briskets were the worse quality to start out with I have had all year so I'm going to blame that with the briskets.

Nice job on your first outing...congrats! :thumb:

Back