Comp Class Recommendation

I took Paul Kirk's class a few years back and it was an eye opener...Paul was very thorough in his descriptions of HOW to prep and HOW to cook good BBQ. We used his rubs for the pork butts and briskets but were allowed to create our own for the chicken and ribs...it was interesting how many different rubs were concocted that day...some good...some not so good. The main thing I took away was the basics...fire...prep...smoke. :becky:

I have since developed my own style of cooking that incorporates several styles...Paul's for the basics...Ray Lampe for technique...Adam Perry Lang for creativity...and swamprb (Brian Moriarty) for competition...(cooking for the judges and presentation). :cool:

I am very interested in taking Todd and David's class this November to help me out on the catering side as well as to get an idea of competition cooking on a national level...plus I'm thinking of crossing over to the dark side and investing in an FEC100...:tape:

I think any class that a seasoned pit master is giving will help the beginner...once you know which direction you want to go you can then choose that style to follow...or create your own...good luck with your decision. :p

I enjoy those PM's Nate. Means you're thinking and that means understanding. Keep them coming.

And while I have nothing official. I have had a few folks volunteer for my next cooking class (if any). I have had a few top teams step up to volunteer as guest instructors i am sure a lot of teams will be excited to hear who wants to step up to help fight cancer and hopefullly learn something new on how to prepare and compete at a top level.[/QUOTE

I'm more than happy to help Scottie, I can vac out your pellet pots or something :thumb:

I enjoy those PM's Nate. Means you're thinking and that means understanding. Keep them coming.

And while I have nothing official. I have had a few folks volunteer for my next cooking class (if any). I have had a few top teams step up to volunteer as guest instructors i am sure a lot of teams will be excited to hear who wants to step up to help fight cancer and hopefullly learn something new on how to prepare and compete at a top level.[/QUOTE

I'm more than happy to help Scottie, I can vac out your pellet pots or something :thumb:

Careful or you and the girls will be making a trip to Chi-town! ;)

I think one thing to take seriously before taking a class is how much the teaching reflects the kind of Q you do. For instance, I plan to take the Plowboys/ Butchers class primarily to get some tips on how to get the most out of the FEC. If you cook with a stickburner at high temps them maybe a class taught by Mike Davis or Myron Mixon would be better for you. In addition some classes give you a look into the complete cooking process (rubs, injections and everything else). Some will only give you help on techniques - but they won't give you specific help on flavors etc.

So, what do you need/expect to learn?

We've had a long time stick burner get their first GC just one contest after taking the class in Tulsa. :clap2: He was the only person prior to the class that I gave a guarantee to. Good techniques are good techniques, no matter what you cook on. :thumb: Just saying. :becky:

I fully recommend Mike Davis's class. Fantastic and great teacher.

Konrad Haskin's class is very good also. He was my first class years ago (Konrad, it was Sacramento and Arnold Schwarzenegger showed up) and I still use some of his what I learned in that class.

My biggest recommendation is try do a class that lets you get your hands dirty. Taking notes is great but nothing beats actually doing.

I cook on a stick burner currently and took the Jack's Old South class last summer? Had never been in the top half of a comp in about 10 tries. Now we are in the top 100 in ribs and chicken on the Toty standings and top 250 or so overall. A good class is well worth the money? Looking to do more vending than competing next year and may purchase a fec 100, so I am looking at taking a class geared to that smoker. Will probably do Plowboy or Pellet Envy. A good class will pay off quickly if you pay attention while you are there!

since your gonna do more vending than competing can you go ahead and tell me how to do chicken.. I mean you killed me on chicken Saturday:becky: I got 33rd

I'm looking to put one together for early November I believe.

Looks like dammit andy and plowboy are doing a class in NY 10/30.

I understand David has had to drop out of this class
Todd will be there at $250 per student
There is a winning investment

Placing ONE time will get your money back

Its not that I had to drop out, due to economics and lack of sigh ups, it wasn't possible for 2 of us to fly out there with the cencus count. Another words there wansn't enough interest to warrant the cost of both of us going out. Todd is still headed out to run a full class and teach his winning ways.

Its not that I had to drop out, due to economics and lack of sigh ups, it wasn't possible for 2 of us to fly out there with the cencus count. Another words there wansn't enough interest to warrant the cost of both of us going out. Todd is still headed out to run a full class and teach his winning ways.

I am really sorry to hear this.

I have been looking for info on Mike Davis's class since he is so close to me. Would love to do a Plowboys/butcher class, but it will have to be closer.

Butcher, you need to do a class at your place in November since you will not be making the trip to MI. I know of one person who would be there.

Thanks,

Fred

Back