Recipe: Beans For A Crowd (pic)

Check your Walmart... my wife was very pleased with herself when she found them there after not being able to find them for years. One off a long list of things that she "reminds" me about after draggin' her back East.

1220e905.gif

Glad to see a post with Ranch Style's. I grew up on those farkers and use them for one of my quick bean dishes....

A side note, in the old days the cans said "Husband Pleasin'" instead of "Appetite Pleasin'"​

Here's my grandma's Lumberjack Baked Beans They were originaly done in a big CI dutch oven in the lumberjack camp she cooked in. I modded it a little

Lumberjack Baked Beans
1 #10 can Show Boat pork & beans from Sam's
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
8 oz blackstrap molasses
2 med onions diced
1/2 # salt pork or chopped brisket as I make it
1 Tbl sea salt
2 Tbl black pepper
1/2 cup brown sugar.
4 1/8 inch sliced green onions for a color contrast.
Foil and bake at 300 for 4 hrs and then 2 hours in your smoker

Thanks for the recipe John, it sounds really nice and doesn't look like it would be too sickly sweet (I have seen some recipes that have cups of sugar, molasses, bbq sauce or ketchup with only a small amount of beans)

I appreciate your messages and recipes John - thanks for sharing! I've never done much with beans. Will have to give them a try.

Toss some of your rub in toward the end of the cook to compliment the flavor. And always cook beans on smoker if you have one IF its bbq'd beans they gotta be smoked IMHO

Thanks. The Ranch beans are very good, but I've heard that folks in a lot of areas can't find them.

John

Found mine at Waltard. 79 cents a can! I think you may be able to sub a chili type bean from Bush or Brooks and come some what close.

I have a 1/4 batch in the oven right now. (Snowing and just me and the wife). Update when we eat.

Very good beans, but something is missing. Both me and the wife think so. Any ideas??

Very good beans, but something is missing. Both me and the wife think so. Any ideas??

I don't know because it really depends on what your palette thinks is missing.
Having said that, I think green and red peppers would be great in them, as
would leftover smoked pork or brisket.

Also, if they were just for me I'd spice 'em up.

John

I have made this many times and always get rave reviews. I have added pulled pork, brisket and chicken on different occasions. It's all good. The Ranch Style Beans IMO really set this apart. Three thumbs up! Thanks Patiodaddio!

Reheated the beans for lunch today. The flavor really developed over night. The wife and I each had 2 helpings! BTW I think the missing ingredient is brown sugar. Will try it with that next time.

Last edited:
Back