• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Started my "Northwoods Amateur" build tonight (BWS Pro Clone)

4 hours at a time is about what I did! For me that is about the right amount of time, because it's long enough to get something done but not so long that you get tired of what you are doing.

Doors are built! Got both the top and the bottom door welded together tonight. They are still rough and need grinding but the insulation is in and both the interior and exterior panels are completely attached.

3250868a-ee94-52db.jpg

3250868a-eeab-b4c7.jpg

Might have to order some different hinges, not sure if the 120's I got from Cottco will be big enough with the 3/4" bulb fiberglass door seal I got. Should find out soon though as I don't have much left. Need to put the outer skins on yet, rails, build the firebox, water box and the racks and we should be ready to smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really lookin good....all of us 'build-heads' will be havin to find more builds to follow soon!

Looking mighty fine there! Do you have a rough estimate on what you have budgeted $$ for this build?

Looking mighty fine there! Do you have a rough estimate on what you have budgeted $$ for this build?

Rough estimate would be around $1500 for all materials. And I think I overpaid for the steel but I didn't really shop around and went for convenience instead.

Looks like some quality work going into your clone. Thanks for sharing your progress.

Looking good. Keep in mind that you can always just cut it back apart if you weld something wrong. Trust me. I know this for a fact. Do it all the time. ;> I am like Ryan. I think I need to see this one in person sometime. Pretty cool that we have three minnesota folks all doing builds right now. Cold and not enough snow for snowmobiling. Ice on the lakes is questionable. So what's a guy to do? Fire up the welder of course.

Great build I probably shouldn't have looked but now I'm hooked. How did you come up with the dimensions for your build and what are you using for insulation? Are any drawings available or did you make your own. Thanks in advance for any help your build has inspired me.

Farkin awesome. Lookin really good so far!

I'm watchin fer sure!:thumb:

Great build I probably shouldn't have looked but now I'm hooked. How did you come up with the dimensions for your build and what are you using for insulation? Are any drawings available or did you make your own. Thanks in advance for any help your build has inspired me.

I found a few previous builds out there that I roughly based mine on. I changed the dimensions and worked out the cuts on the sheet metal to get the most out of each sheet. I also wanted to make sure I could fit a full sized pan on the racks, it would have been nice to be able to fit 2 side by side but then it got quite a bit wider when you figure in air space between them also.

For insulation I used a roll of flexible ultra high temp ceramic insulation from McMaster-Carr. Max temp of 2000* and K-Factor of 0.65 @ 800° F.

More progress today.

Rails and anti-tips are in. Very bottom rail is for the water pan I need to build yet but I wanted it removable/easy to slide out.

IMG_4128-vi.jpg

I only put the anti-tips on one side, do most people have them on both sides?

IMG_4129-vi.jpg

And the top panel is on.

IMG_4128-vi.jpg

Also smoothed out my doors a bit more and they are good enough for me now. And I found a local guy who can bend 5' sheets of metal so I am bringing him the skin for the outside next week to get bent. Once that and the bottom are on the only things left to fabricate are charcoal box, racks and water pan. Then mount the doors and paint it up!

Thanks guys.

Another question. For those of you who have built your own racks do you miter the corners of the angle iron or just cut them straight and then notch one of the pieces to get em to mate up?

Back