Weber Genesis Find

seavandal

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Howdy all. This weekend, I picked up a nice Weber Genesis 1. It is chocolate colored (rare?) and in really nice shape! For ten bucks, I didn't think I could go wrong. As I tore into this BBQ, I noticed it wasn't the run of the mill H Burner with lava rocks type of BBQ! All of the”Flavorizer” bars inside (all 13 of them) are in very good to excellent shape. All of the paint is fantastic. All of the mechanics work perfectly. No broken parts! The old guy that maintained this barbecue would use it outside and then cover it and put it in the garage. He bought it new in 1986. Apparently, not a big grillin' kind of a guy. With just a light dusting of Easy off on the grill, bars, and rack, it sparkled. The one thing at the garage sale I did notice was that it was NG and not LP. I need LP! I pulled the hose off, replaced it with an LP regulator, and fired it up. Nice flame! Like, 2 1/2" of nice flame on high! Yikes! I let it cook for a while and let it smoke a bit to burn off any gunk. I then looked around for new orifices. No problem online to find blank ones that needed a #59 drill to open them up a bit (LP chart showed a #59 for a 12,000 BTU/valve). I wasn't real secure in going that route so I looked around at some barbecue shops nearby and, lo and behold, one of the shops had a Weber LP manifold with the orifices in it. We swapped orifices... no charge! Sweet! I asked if the valves were different, and he said no. These valves are smooth operating with no clicks at low, med, hi. I just put it together and fired it up. After a little adjusting of the vents, the blue flames came out of the burners at a nice 1" length. I watched the temp rise up to about 580 degrees in about 10 minutes. That's about where it stopped. I have never used a barbecue like this. I think I'll throw a few chicken titties on it to see how it works. I suspect really greasy burger meat is the best for a nice smoky flavor (burgers tomorrow!).
So, here are a few questions for you brethren BBQ folks. Was there a gas Weber series before the Genesis 1? Is the chocolate color the first that you have heard of? I can't seem to find any others with only a reference to the color (seems they are black or red). Does the flame size sound about right? Have any of you converted a Weber from NG to LP? I read warnings about this type of conversion but can't understand the fear factor since Weber used to offer the conversion kit. If you have converted one of these from NG to LP, what was in the kit? I am curious to see if the valves themselves needed a different spring to compensate for the differences in WC. Let’s see if I can post some pictures.
OK fellas, thanks for giving me a place to ramble on about my new find! Any help on the above questions would be greatly appreciated! And thanks for all the great reads on this site! Chris
20130903_173941.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Capture3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Great find for ten bucks!! I have three old Webers that I use constantly, one red one brown and one green. Great grills that last forever. I have changed them from natural to LP by swapping orifices and have never had any problems.

Nice find for $10. I've restored a few of these grills, but no NG to LP. It looks to me like this unit is definitely an older model as it has a wooden handle and wood shelf. The wood shelf does not look original to me. The slats in all the old models I've seen have thinner wood that tend to warp over time. It looks to me like the wood slats were replace and stained.

How many flavorizor bars does your unit have? I know the older models had more bars than more recent versions.

As for cooking, you will do fine with chicken. However, burgers will tend to flame up a lot - even when the grill and flavorizor bars are clean, so be careful.

Again, great buy for $10!

Nice find! At that age, $10 may not be a bargain if you have to replace grates, flavorizer bars, regulator and perhaps other parts but in your case it sounds like you needed none of that.

As far as the NG -> Propane conversion, I think regulator and manifold (with the correct orifices) are all that is required. There is also a mount for the tank with a built in spring scale that gives an estimate of propane remaining.

Brown is an unusual color. I'm not sure I've seen one in that age series. The other color I recall is a kind of forest green.

I wouldn't rule out that the wood slats are original. I've seen the three slat shelves before. Weber has used a lot of different configurations on the shelves.

A flame of about 1" (should be blue with perhaps a little flicker of yellow) sounds right. 580°F is in the vicinity of what my Silver A can achieve.

I don't know nomenclature for earlier grills. You might find more at the Weber site in the section where you download manuals.

If you haven't already figured this out, the metal bracket on the left side of the fire box is to hold a rotisserie motor.

While the denizens of this site lean toward wood and charcoal for smoking, a propane grill like this is a nice addition to the arsenal and the kind of thing I find convenient from time to time. I particularly like to keep by Silver A fired on low while grilling in the winter so I have a warm place to hold food as it comes off the grill.

Further down the family tree is my new genesis. Call the color copper

null_zps469af678.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys! This Weber has 13 bars inside. The wooden slats are original. This must be the first gas grill Weber came out with. Does anybody know of an earlier gas grill model? This one fits right into my collection of vintage BBQs. I am kind of bugged about the LP bottle just sitting on the ground. Do you guys have a cheap fix for this? Something I can make in the garage? The tank that I am using has a gauge on it to tell me how much gas it has left. When I run out of propane, I will have to replace the original valve with an OPD since this tank is vintage(see pic). I like the dial!
tankdial.jpg
[/IMG]

tankvalve.jpg

Attachments

• tank dial.JPG
    tank dial.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 154
Nice find! Let's hear more about those yellow ones behind it .. :)

The yellow ones behind are Sazcos. I picked up the small "Genie" and the "Sultan" at garage sales. I picked up a blue "Genie" off Craigslist. These are from the 60's. Ceramic cookers like the early Kamados. These have the patent whereas the Kamado only got the design patent. I use them all the time. Here's a pic of the three:
sazcogroup.jpg
[/IMG]
sultanandgenie.jpg
[/IMG]

Attachments

• sazco group.JPG
    sazco group.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 122
  • sultan and genie.JPG
    sultan and genie.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 120
The yellow ones behind are Sazcos. I picked up the small "Genie" and the "Sultan" at garage sales. I picked up a blue "Genie" off Craigslist. These are from the 60's. Ceramic cookers like the early Kamados. These have the patent whereas the Kamado only got the design patent. I use them all the time. Here's a pic of the three:
sazcogroup.jpg
[/IMG]
sultanandgenie.jpg
[/IMG]

The small one reminds me of the grill/bbq in the movie "The Graduate". I saw that one and I was like, I want it! lol

In the back yard scene in the Graduate, they are using a big Sazco on the grass in the background. They are cooking on a Genie on the stand. Both are Sazcos. Good eye!

As far as I can tell, the first Genesis style came out around '85. Weber did have a gas kettle around '71. Colours?????

Back