Chicken legs as entry

Uncle Buds BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I think we set a record at Sam's Club Huntsville this weekend for drum stick entries.

My table had a turn in of drum sticks so I got up and polled the other tables. A total of 7 drum turn ins out of 29 teams. Wow!

Our turn in was good and scored well. The judges at other tables that got drums opinions varied from great to not so good.

Oh - And I got to meet other Brethren there! dmprantz and Buckshot Malone were set up next to each other. I enjoyed putting a face to a profile!!!

Dave

I would like to know how the brave drumstick people faired score-wise. If anyone has boxes and/or scores to post I would appreciate it.

There's a couple of teams that have been playing around with drummies this year, maybe they'll chime in.

If we can figure out how to get every judge doing the "as presented by the cook" thing, then life will be much better. Someone has an article in this month's Bullsheet talking about pre-conceived tastes (not me :cool:). Give it a read.

While we weren't at Sams Club this weekend, we do turn in drumsticks and did so all last season.

In the beginning - the scores weren't horrible but they weren't great either. We changed some things as the season went along last year and ended with a 1st place call in Chicken at the last contest of the season. I think we'll stick with them.

It was good to meet you face to face on Saturday! We were not one of the teams that turned in legs, but perhaps we should have! I know who a few of them were, but I'll let them volunteer that or how they did. I've heard that legs can score well, but they can be very, very hit or miss, depending a lot on judges' pre-conceived notions.

dmp

Sorry I did not get to meet you guys. I was at table 6. We had one leg entry that was not very good; very dark, oversmoked skin; skin was tough and meat was dry. It also had what appeared to be a white sauce on the legs.

I turned in a leg box in Huntsville this past weekend. Scored well on appearance but didn't do very well on everthing else. I overcooked them and that's the biggest risk with doing legs that I see. Allot of times I'll cook both legs and thighs and will turn in the legs if they turn out good, but this weekend I went out on a limb and only done the legs and it hurt me. I just picked out the ones that wasn't overcooked as bad....which wasn't much to choose from. Mine didn't have the white sauce...I think I finshed 14th maybe.

But I won wings!!! :clap2::clap::clap:

To the judges that are seeing legs turned in: Are you seeing them more "Lollipop Style" or just cooked the way they are?

I have been tossing around the idea of legs and may do it. We were there this weekend and turned in thighs and wings. The wings are very hit and miss also.

Back