• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beef Brisket off to the races; Pron heavy

H

hankll

Last night, I trimmed the Beef Brisket. It was 13.54#, and by the time I trimmed the 5.9# of fat off, it didn't look so impressive. Either I trimmed too much or it wasn't a very good cut. I bought it at Sam's Club @ $2.38 a lb. and label says it was Choice Boneless Beef Brisket.

So my question is after trimming that much fat off, did I do it wrong or was it just a bad cut of meat, and mis-labeled Choice, when it should have been something less?

But with all that said, here are the photo's of it being trimmed, and on the smoker.

Finished results yet to be determined!

Attachments

• Beef Brisket smoking 007.jpg
    Beef Brisket smoking 007.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Beef Brisket smoking 009.jpg
    Beef Brisket smoking 009.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Beef Brisket smoking 010.jpg
    Beef Brisket smoking 010.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Beef Brisket smoking 012.jpg
    Beef Brisket smoking 012.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Beef Brisket smoking 001.jpg
    Beef Brisket smoking 001.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 216
  • Beef Brisket smoking 002.jpg
    Beef Brisket smoking 002.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 221
  • Beef Brisket smoking 004.jpg
    Beef Brisket smoking 004.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 217
The choice grade would give you more fat. That is how it works more fat is more tender. Trimming is personal preference. I trim the outside, but leave it in between the flat and the point.I also leave a little more than you did on the outside. You can decide how much you like when you taste the results. You can expect a whole bunch of different opinions on this one. This is just mine.Good luck with your cook.

Um....ya.
WAY overtrimmed! Should be fine but foil early or you'll end up with jerky.
Several threads on brisket trimming here but I would advise on NOT trimming until you have your cook perfected.

You also have your probe in the point, move it to the flat or you'll undercook it.

Gotcha! Thanks. I looked at the tutorial, and thought I was supposed to carve all the fat out between the point and the flat.....guess I misread that.

Now it is cruising at 250* in foil and moved the probe to the flat as suggested...... internal temp when foiled was 175*

Holy crap, how big are your hands :shocked:

attachment.php

Good luck with the cook. Looking forward to the results.

i take the hard fat cap off that will not render and leave everything else. Fat = juice = goodness...

I cook hot and fast, and trim almost as much as you did. I leave a little more between the point and flat. I trim all fat cap off of the point, Enough internal fat there.

Good luck!

I only do very light trimming before I cook it. That would be way too much IMHO. Lots of internal fat so you might be alright. Let us know how it turned out.

At 5 1/2 hours, it is done! I checked it at 195* still not done, went to 205*, closer, but not quite, so I went on up to 210* and it was tender. I took the foil off for a bit and let it go to crisp up the bark. Then I noticed the internal temp beginning to go back down. When it reached 205* I pulled it. The photo of it on the grill is just before I brought it inside. Letting it rest now.

So what did I learn......the brethren on here saved my A$$ on this one....Thanks for all the quick responses.

Attachments

• Beef Brisket smoking.jpg
    Beef Brisket smoking.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 156
Done and done! Totally moist and tender.....and for the most part, a perfect brisket. Just lucked out, but as I said, the brethren saved it for me!

Attachments

• Beef Brisket smoking 015.jpg
    Beef Brisket smoking 015.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 149
I'll take 3 sammies! White bread of course!

That looks really good! How great to have all the pros looking over your shoulder. Nice save, guys!!! :thumb:

It was absolutely great tasting....and I have left overs for those in between meals snacks! Gotta keep my "trim" figure with good protein!

I never mentioned that I made my own rub and also the injection juice, a combination of pineapple juice and red wine vinegar, with spicy mustard, and enough of my dry rub mixed in to get it to a runny ketchup consistency......which was injected into the brisket prior to it being put in the fridge overnight.

I've never changed it from that, since my wife likes it.

Back